Monday 17 July 2006

Mon 17 Jul 06, Albert Park Lake + a bit

8.5km today and 29km for the week so far, 14 runs/17 days this month

I decided this morning I would run at lunch and enjoy running again in the daylight hours, 8k or so, either a few laps of the Tan, Albert Park or the river was the plan. Today's forecast was 15 degrees, sounded nice and mild so i brought a singlet and shorts only.....wrong.

I left the office at 12:15pm, not sure what the temp was but it was cool & windy, but a singlet was it! I left the barracks and made my way towards Albert Park, not a place Inormally go when windy, but I was in a good mood and I thought I may as well enjoy a casual jog around the lake, I hadn't been there for awhile.

Hoping to sit around 4:45 pace today, I used the lap function once I got to the markers. Known splits; 4.42, 4.40, 4.35, 4.25 & 4.21, a bit fast so I slowed down to probably 4:40ish pace and made my back to the Barracks, finishing with a lap of the exterior to get the distance upto 8.5 for the day.

Stretched and enjoyed a couple of poached eggs of rye with vegemite followed by some diced peaches (140g snack pack), yum.


I had a chat with Burkie this morning and we briefly spoke regarding the weeks work prior to the State XC Champs at Jells Park (12km), easy 8-10 today with stretching, tue - 1k reps, probably only 5/6 @ 10k pace, Wed easy 60 minutes, Thu - a handful of 400s, rest on Friday. Last year I ran 49:23 on what may have been a slightly short course at , but it was still a good run and I actually out raced a few people who I have only beaten that day, every other time they have beaten me, so I was very satified. This year I am running slightly better than last year but not as satisfied, if that makes sense. Maybe I am aiming to high and my expectations far outweigh my ability, but I think that I was running so well prior to my operation that I am waiting for that form to return.

This is a profile of the Jells Park course, minus the last 100 metres or so, the race is a 4 lap 3k course and some believe it will be slightly easier than the Bundoora course of previous years, but if the wet remains the course could become very 'boggy'. I am hoping to have a very controlled start so I can try and work and attack the hills in the final 2 laps.


3 comments:

Crissyjt said...

poached eggs with vegemite?? i hope not at the same time. Eewe.

As for the high expectations.. it keeps you challenged.

Em said...

Wow, I just assumed that Jells park was quite flat, where do they hide the hills!?

I'll be praying for lots of rain on Friday night (cue evil laugh.....), serioulsy, I don't think there is anymore forecast this week.

Em said...

Oh, another comment.

My expectations FAR outweigh my ability, doesn't hurt to aim high :-)

Well, maybe it does but I prefer to be a dreamer.