Monday 10 July 2006

Mon 10 Jul 06, a feel good run

14km today and for the week so far, 7 runs/10 days this month

What a shocking day here in Melbourne, wind, wind & more wind!!! From my desk I overlook the Tan, I can see the Government Dve intersection and a 100 metres or so of the track from there. Every time I looked outside thinking about my evening run all I could think about was, I hate running in the wind and for the past few weeks most of my runs have been a mental struggle so I knew tonight was going to be hard, but I also knew I wanted to get at least 60 minutes in.

5pm is nearing and in my head I am thinking why....but I get changed. Weatherzone says it is still 13 degrees but everyone is telling me it is very cold outside, I decide T & shorts and I'm off to the gym at work and see if I can get on a tready.... OMG...I haven't been on one of these things for many months, but what a great decision.

The treadys at work have a 20 minute limit, but I'll chance it and hope I can remain on it. I start at 12kph (5 min pace) and decide I will increase the pace each 500m by .1 kph and every 1km I would increase the incline by .1, a great session, get slightly faster and slightly harder with some incline. I upped the pace every 500m until 5km and then every 1km until the 50 min mark where I just kicked it up to 17kph and for the final 5 min 17.5kph. At the 60 min mark I was on 13.3km and was hot & sweaty, which was great for the mind, I hadn't been so drenched in sweat for many months, strangely, enjoyable! I finished off with 1km of slow jogging and then some stretching. All up an enjoyable run, finally.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too much wind tonight. It drowned out the my music as I was running the Yarra.

Em said...

Ughhh, so glad Monday's are my rest day, it was vile yesterday. Glad you enjoyed the treadmill workout, every now and then they are the more attractive option.

Sekhmet said...

I'm sorry, but I just simply cannot do the tready thing! You're right, t'was a tad windy yesterday - I piked on riding to work as I didn;t want to get blown off my bike and into a car....

Brrr, that does it - I'm moving to warmer climes!

Jaykay said...

17.5kph!! That's amazing Stu. I struggle at 11.5kph.

I didn't run yesterday but the wind was really cold and very strong! Got my washing dry though :0)