Monday 27 June 2005

Sun 26 Jun, Round 4 Albert Park 15km

80.5kg, 21km for the week so far

Left the house at 7am with Cam and was stopping on the way to pick up one of our injuried Club runners to act as an official for us today. Its about 3 degrees, but there is NO wind and it looks like it will be a great day to race. Cam's race is at 8.30 & I'm at 9am. On arrival at Albert Park, get the admin out of the way, pick up race tags and get our 4 officials registered in.

8am, myself and 4 others go for a run to start up our warm up and to check out the course, so we run a lap of the 3.8k course so we know what to expect, I think the course looks better than previous years... I hope I go well.

8.40, Cam's race starts 9-10 minutes late, a big pack, all of the underage together and of course the U18 & U20 men are very fast and competitive. Cam raced last Sat & on Wed so he hasn't had the ideal prep, but he was feeling good prior, he crosses the line 17th overall in 16:03, the winner ran 14:12, five young men under 15 min for 5k, WOW.

9.05, the open men & women commence, after the first km I have ascertained I started to far back and I am moving through the pack for the first few k's. The first 5k I do in 20:38, I feel good but I am conscience of there still being 10k to go. The second 5k in 20:37, which is excellent, I struggle a little around the 12k area and try to guts it out, but in hindsight I could had pushed a bit more, the last 5k in 21:30 and cross the line in 1h 2m 36s, which is a 5m 11s PB from last year, WOW, very cool. For the final 7k I was alongside or just behind Chris B. (a CR) who runs for Collingwood, I beat him in the 10k but today he got me.

Finished the day with a 2k cool down and I am very happy. All is looking good for a sub 90min HM and working closer to the sub 40min for 10k.

No comments: