Sunday 15 February 2009

Western Region Little Aths qualifiers

Today's post is all about my coaching experience, so if you want to read about Stu's running, then look for another day, as today's post is all about 16 kids I coach and how they performed at the Region Champs.

Did I run today, yes I did but only with kids to help warm them up or for a cool down etc....heaps of times throughout two days at the Newport Aths track.


As I mentioned above, 16 kids I coach entered the VLAA Region Champs in the hope to qualify for the Vic Little Aths T&F State Champs or to just achieve a PB and not worry about the States. One of the exciting aspects of this weekend was the three U13 girls were here for the first time along with the two U9 girls. The U13 girls were experiencing their first Champs, one because it was her first year of aths and the other two as they never thought they were good enough...sad but that is the thinking of some, but I encouraged these two girls over time, well done Elyse & Claire. Sadly Celeste had to pull out the night before due to a glute issue and missed her first experience, but there are many seasons to come.

Two long days of aths and my 3 boys were staying for the weekend, so this was an added layer to my busy weekend, Connor was competing in three events on Sat, long jump (which we decided he should withdraw from due to a growing heel issue), the 800m & discus. Declan & Kaelan were to hang around a lot!!! Thank you very much Jo for minimising these times...

I coach my squad to run and dabble in other bits & pieces, but primarily run with a preference for Little Aths kids on the 200, 400, 800 & 1500. But kids from my squad competed in the following:
  • triple jump
  • discus
  • 60m & 80m hurdles
  • 100m
  • 200m
  • 400m
  • 800m
  • & finally the 1500m
So just a few events.....you may wonder how can you look after all of these events, well I can't...the discus work was done by two other coaches; the jumping is done by one of the mum's in my squad and also natural talent of the kids; the hurdles....they do some work with Burkie and I ensure they are fit enough in between the hurdles. The 100m was two boys (U11 & 14, brothers) one shouldn't have and the other (Scott) is quick but is enjoying how his 400 & 800m are improving, but has qualified in numerous sprints at States.

I missed the hurdle heats so I could stay home until 10am on Sat, I arrived in time to warm up the 800m runners, nine kids and all ran GREAT and some finished 1st or 2nd and automatically qualified for States, but what I am most proud to say is they all PB'd, the smallest PB was 3 seconds and the biggest was 9 seconds and I felt very proud of their achievements and this was a real highlight of my weekend (excluding Connor's efforts which were great). Whilst there were other events on Saturday, none surpassed the 800m races, excluding how proud I was of Connor.

Connor can run, but isn't too excited about training or trying real hard, his 800m PB was 3:16, as an U10 boy this is average but he beats many boys at Werribee (generally finishes 5th), he ran 2nd last out of 17 boys but tried his best and ran 3:11. Then immediately after he made his way to discus; just prior to Christmas between me & him we decided this was an event he might be able to concentrate on without too much physical effort. He broke 10m just before Christmas (very average), but agreed willingly to do some work with one of the Wes Aths senior throwers (Fernando) and has improved greatly, throwing 14:52 at the State Multi's. I asked Connor to strive to break 15m, his first throw was 18m+ and eventually qualified for the final 8 and then threw 19:72 and finished 6th, I am so proud of his efforts and now he wants to break 20m!

Sunday saw the 400m & 1500m races and again every athlete achieved a PB, some even achieved PBs in the heat of the 400m and then again in the final. Only 3 girls from my squad in the 1500m and all 3 ran PBs, one finished 2nd in the U11 race and automatically qual and the other two girls ran a great races in the U13, PB'd and did their best by a long way. The boys in the 400m were magnificent, both Bailey & Thomas exceeded my expectations and finished 3rd & 6th behind last years Gold & Silver medalist and both may progress to the States.
________________

What a weekend, great efforts from the boys & girls and I feel very happy with my coaching, whilst I know that kids will continue to run PB as they grow, but for all 15 who raced, they all PB'd once, some twice and even a couple 3 or 4 times and I will take some of the credit.

Thanks for reading

3 comments:

Ewen said...

You deserve a lot of the credit Stu. Having all get PBs is very impressive. Connor's improvement in the discus has been fantastic.

I'd ask you to coach me if you weren't (according to a certain someone) so "mean".

Anonymous said...

Great job Coach :D

jojo said...

and you should give yourself a pat on teh back-it is a phenomenal effort
..awww ewen he isnt that mean to EVRYONE-just me...lol