Thursday 5 February 2009

A killer session

Who says you have to run a long way to get the runner's high....but tonight it took an hour or two before the 'high' arrived....


Jo was expecting to arrive at the track tonight at 5:30ish and as I wanted the girls to do most of Jo's set but also I wanted to run them through 600m at 3 min 800m pace, but to run it controlled. Four girls, 1 regularly runs sub 3 min and two run 2:55-2:59 and one should but doesn't and generally gets 3:10 or worse... First 200m in 44, then 45, but then Steph dropped off, I got the other three to stick to their pace and I stayed with her, we crossed in 2:20. Not yet...the endurance just isn't there, but she did say she now understands what I expect in the first 200m. As we finished Jo arrived, so I told the girls to jog/walk a lap and then relax until Jo was getting into her strides (3x100m) and they could join for her last 2. Whilst this was happening I did easy strides on the grass, lots.

HOT 300m reps with 5 min recovery. Tonight Michele joined us, she was very nervous, she has done a few of my sessions but generally on Wed when her son trains with me and generally alone without the worry of faster runners around her, but she did well. She warmed up with Jo, as they ran together on the weekend Jo was able to calm her down a tad. I told her we would be working very hard and she should aim at 85-90% to ensure she survived.

Myself, Jo & Michele did 5x300 and the junior girls (x4) did 3 reps and this HURT. My reps steadily slowed and I got closer and closer to losing control of my stomach, but didn't.
  • 49.3
  • 50.5
  • 51
  • 53
  • 53

The 5 min recovery felt more than enough after the first, but after that I always knew some extra time would have been great.

A few laps of the infield afterwards and then home, about 2 hours later I felt VERY satisfied.

1 comment:

jojo said...

hurt doesnt even begin to cover it! i had to lay on the ground for about 10 mins before i could even walk again!