Sunday 25 November 2007

Sun 25 Nov 07, 90 minutes at the You Yangs

I arrived at the You Yangs in our normal meeting place, only males today were me & Cookie and then a bunch of junior girls. Just before we were taking off, Buster Mottram arrived by himself. A quick hello and he helped Burkie get his bike over the fence then finally one of the girls asked me who is the really tall skinny guy, I told the three girls and they became VERY excited, we told them to go and say hello, within seconds they were over there and Buster ended helping one of the girls fix her HRM monitor. :-)

Today I wanted to run between 75-90 minutes, Cookie & I ran the Branding Yard Rd loop (5.35k), hydrated and I dropped my singlet, then we made our way along GCD and took the first turn off which is a 9 min deviation from GCD, about 3 minutes off the beaten track. Once back on GCD we had to go up a hill and then we turned off and went towards the Stockyard area. Cookie suggested we make our way up the Quarry Rd which involves a long grinding hill, which I thought it was about time I seen where that path goes that I see Troopy run up regularly. Whilst we were jogging, Cookie pointed out a big hill with two boulders on it (Buster told us later 'No Tree Hill') and he was telling me that he would like to camp there so he could check out the city lights at night. Yep...once up the Quarry Rd hill Cookie pointed to our right, No Tree Hill is right next to us, so off we went, up the grass (no track) to the top, I had to walk up the last 50-70m, it was very tough to walk it. Once at the top the views made the whole trip very much worth it, 62 minutes so far. After checking out the view, we could see the shooting range, the Holden testing ground (I didn't know it existed here) and of course the Geelong beach and the city. We then returned back to the Stockyards area, then following the No. 1 MTB track up the hill back to GCD. Whilst back on GCD making our way back to our starting spot we were passed by Buster who was cruising along for his 1h 45m run. We arrived back at Toynes Rd on 90:50 (I stopped my watch when sight seeing) off running and a little bit of walking up the BIG hill. A really satisfying run, the hills tested me and I'm sure I will feel them tmrw, but a worthwhile trip.

Buster too had finished up, so myself & Cookie chatted with Craig about his plans before the OG, I also wondered about his racing here which he said a couple of Telstra A Series before taking off for the World Cross. We chatted about the CG and his experience and yes we asked about 'that fall'. Cookie even had his digi camera in his car, Cookie asked if it was ok, so a pic of me & Craig will be coming!

A nice guy who was happy to talk about running with two guys for nearly 15 minutes, distance runners just seem to like talking about running! :-) Oh...and btw Em...no I didn't pass on your mobile number, sorry!



Geees I'm looking a little tired & concerned, maybe worried about me not looking great for my photo.... :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

jeez, did you at least put in a good word for me, honestly, men, you are so clueless LOL

Ewen said...

What a day. That's a great story - especially the girls not knowing who he was!

The views from No Tree Hill sound fantastic - you should take a night run/walk up there one day.

jojo said...

cant wait to see the piccy..

Anonymous said...

Gday Stu Mac, I was in the youies yesterday morning but did not see you. I actually tagged along and costed Mottram for about an hour of the run- he is a pretty good bloke, good to see he has time for the common people like us!

And it is the FORD Proving Ground you could see, my place of business 8-4.30 every week day. Unless you have particularly special eyesight and could see all the way to Lang Lang from where you were!

Seeya round mate.

Anonymous said...

You should have heard the scream that came out of Em's mouth when she got your text message. lol!!

Anonymous said...

Man, you're such a tart. Mo Farah and Andrew Baddeley are probably chillin' in London looking at Mottram's blog going "how'd he score a photo with Stu Mac?"...

Sekhmet said...

Hehehe, look at his nobbly knees!

Cool pic Stu, sounds like you had a great morning :-)

Ewen said...

At least you're wearing Nike gear Stu.

I see Buster has decided to join the ranks of good-looking bearded runners.