Saturday 24 November 2007

Sat 24 Nov 07, Shield Comp Round 5 @ Aberfeldie

A beautiful day for track racing, very sunny, mid 20's, little to no wind. The races that were possibilities for me were the 1500m, 5000, relay & 400m, not all, but some combination, the 1500m was a definite.

Allocated to the 3rd heat of the 1500m, 4:45-5:15 race. I knew I hadn't been racing very well but I hoped I could get sub 5:10 today so I had to do the right thing and put myself in the correct race. Starting wide on the line and moved over once clear, felt settled and in a decent rhythm by the time I was in the front straight. First lap in 80 sec, second lap also 80, then 82, 4:02-3 when passing the line, by this stage I was just hanging on and hoping I could finish, 150m to go was becoming ordinary but this was a lot better than my 2 other races crossing in exactly 5:06.00 (11th/12). Hopefully this means 5 min is nearby.

Western Aths have 2 men's teams which means for a full team we need 6 for short races (1500 and less) and four for longer races (3000, 5000 & steeple), today I found 3 volunteers quickly and it I was prepared to fill the 4th spot, but thankfully one of U20 boys said he wanted to put a few k's in the legs of controlled running, so I happily decided I would do some time calling for the 5 & 3k races and then run the 400m.

Lots of the fast guys missing today and many others going home early meant only 3 of us avail & willing to run the final race of the day, 400m and we were the guys hoping to fill the Div 2 team, oh well some some Div 2 guys (heats 6, 7 & 8). I was in heat 7, lane 4 and hoping to run 65ish. Using blocks for the second time (now compulsory for all laned races) and providing some humour for those on the sidelines I managed to get out of the blocks and start off ok. Half way down the back straight I realised I was coming last, wtf, but I was confident the Coburg guy in lane 3 was going way to fast (which proved correct). On the bend I started to catch a few and passed a couple in the straight because they were blowing up, not me getting faster, 5th in 63.6, the winner in 60.0X, finally a half decent race.

With a few w/ups, a few strides, 2 races and some cool downs ended up with a few kms run and leaving the track the happiest for this season, BUT still a long way to go.

2 comments:

jojo said...

sounds like a good day at the track stu

Ewen said...

5:06 is heading in the right direction Stu. The blocks story is a familiar one.