Tuesday 23 October 2007

Tue 23 Oct 07, gym & a track session

Yep I am actually trying to get back into the swing of it and get strong & fit so I can run fast this season, so I went to the gym, only for 30 minutes. I started off with a little bit of general w/up and stretching, then a light barbell and a 35 dumbell I did a combination of standing exercises using shoulders, chest and back then oblique lifts with the dumbell. I did various exercises with the barbell until 15 min. The I moved over to the mats and did 10 minute of core work, plank, oblique plank, crunches, oblique crunches and then a couple of other exercises then finished off with 5 minutes of leg stretches, glutes, hip flexor, hamstrings.

Tonight I started with a 2k w/up around the VU complex with the group and then some basic stretches. The session for me, Adam K, Blair, Daniel & Pierre was 5 x 1000m in approx 3:50-55 with a 60-75 sec recovery. We started our first rep at the 200m marker, as per normal we shared the leading for the first few reps and for the latter the fitter & stronger leads us through the breeze along the back straight. I struggled a bit and the third rep I pulled out after 600m feeling quite fatigued and the final rep I only did 800m which I think was my 'head' playing mind games.

The groups rep times were: 3:59, 3:52, 3:54, 3:59 & 3:43, the bold reps were the ones I didn't complete, overall I felt heavy in the legs but I think it was more in my head than anything else.

We finished off with 2 laps to cool down.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

The 60-75sec recovery is pretty short. It would have been interesting to see what your recovery HR was prior to starting the two reps you failed to finish. That may have told the head/physical story.