Saturday 20 October 2007

Sat 20 Oct 07, first round of the AV Shield Comp

A morning of Little Aths which went 'way' longer than it should (IMHO), then leaving Hoppers just after 1pm I made the trek over to the Coburg Aths track, intending on running in the 800m and making myself available for 4x400m relay.

I arrived about 30 min before the schedule start time, so I dropped my keys and went for a 12 min w/up along the Merri Creek once back whilst stretching I chatted with some of the new teenagers in the Club and found some 'buddys' to show them how things work for the field events. With a few of the boys I coach we all made our way to the 800m starting line. My intent was to run a 'solid' 800m, not kill myself but not totally bludge, aim 2:30. I got missed on being allocated in the 2:30 heat and ended up in the 2:35 heat in lane 8 (oh well), I ran the bend like a repeat and tried to remain very controlled, 10 runners, at the cross over I was sitting 10th and this is where I sat for the majority of the race until the final 80m and crossed 8th in 2:29.61, happy with that, wasn't totally blown away, but was hurting. If I had raced 100% I reckon maybe 2:25, so not very fit at the moment. 10 min cool down.

I wasn't required for either of our men's relay teams (3rd emergency), so I was convinced by the Team Manager that I could help out by running the 1500, I agreed for the team points that I would, hmmmm, why .... aim 5:20.

First lap in 83 & second lap in 84, so all was looking good for a nice paced 5:20, with 14 in the race I was sitting 2nd last for the majority of the race and for the 2nd & 3rd lap I was sitting directly behind 2 guys, but with 250 to go, they moved away and I just continued on, 5:12.5, very happy with that but honestly I didn't have too much more in me. Finished off with a 15 min stroll along a dirt trail along the creek with a group of 5 Western Aths distance runners.

Whilst both races were quite ordinary, I walked away happy as I raced to my current fitness and I'm fairly comfortable that within 4 weeks 5 min 1500s will return and sub 2:20 for the 800. A few k's in the book with some solid racing. :-)

2 comments:

jojo said...

it does sound very controlled.. i wish someone would teach ME that!

Ewen said...

That's a good first-up double Stu. You'll be into the low 2:20s, sub-5 before long - just keep your singlet on ;)

Thanks for your kind words about my 1000th post on CR. Next time you're in town, and want a slow run around the hills (or track), you know who to call :)