Tuesday 27 February 2007

Tue 27 Feb 07, easy morning run & a track session in the evening


After staying up late last night chatting on MSN I enjoyed a sleep in and got out of bed at 8am. I started the day with a relaxing 5k jog, intent was to cruise 5 min pace and allowing the legs to get a few kms and then to stretch. The first 2.5k went exactly to plan, I turned at 12m 30s, exactly on time but the finish I failed and came home quicker than I wanted, all up 5km in 24m 10s.

I then got my ex mat out and did 20 minutes of stretching, holding all stretches for 20 sec. About 30 minutes later after eating breaky and showering I felt very relaxed, a day off and 60 minutes of easy exercise is always a great way to start the day.

I arrived and started tonight's track session right on 5pm, I took off and ran 3 laps of the Complex, windy and heaps of flies (I mean heaps). Whilst completing my warm up I could feel my legs were quite stiff so I did more stretching than normal and then 5x70m strides. Ads jogged into the track whilst I started my strides, so really it was perfect timing, we decided 1km reps, he did 7 and I did 6, he did 45-60 sec recovery and I did 60s.

Splits (recovery):
3.52 (59) standing
3.49 (60) walk/jog diagonal back to the 200m
3.52 (61) walk/jog as above
3.49 (61) walk/jog as above
3.52 (60) walk/jog as above
3.54 (walked 300m)

As Ads said, no matter what time the rep is concentrate on the recovery, I need to remind myself of that all the time. Of course Burkie reminded me afterwards that my reps were too fast, 10k pace was the session and I am not a sub 40 min runner and definitely not a 38 min runner.

My cool down was a run with Clare for 45 minutes along the Fed Trail towards Werribee, again the flies were bloody annoying and the first half of the run was into the wind.

As I sit here I can feel the effects of three days of solid work, over 55k, so I sit here with my Skins hoping they will help.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you're having a lovely day off Stu.

I'm planning a sickie tomorrow. Need to get out in the garden and do some mowing and weeding.

Tesso said...

Pity we can't start every day like that!

Vicky said...

Yeah, I'm very jealous of your day off work Stu, but then after a very long one the day before you deserved it.

Glad the running is ticking along nicely and you're feeling stronger than a few months ago - always a great feeling.

MAR.

Tesso said...

So how do you concentrate on the recovery???

Ewen said...

Having your 800 speed Stu, it's pretty easy to go a bit quick in 1k reps, even with 60 second recoveries. You probably develop more lactic acid and disipate it quite well. Perhaps longer reps (1200s or 2000s) at 10k race pace would be an interesting test?

Spark Driver said...

During my run this morning I copped a mouthful of flies not one, but three times! Very annoying.

Anonymous said...

Just sitting here reading your blog, and it's made me realise I did no stretching after my run tonight ... better go do some now!