Thursday 22 February 2007

Thu 22 Feb 07, gym & a short medium paced local run

I arrived in the city early and was in the gym just before 7am, it was a humid morning and the reverse air system wasn't working in the gym and within 10 minutes I was working up a decent sweat. I did a few different exercises this morning, starting with some morning glories (sp) with a combination of some regular oblique lifts (I know what I mean). Then another regular upwards row,in combination with some mil press and push ups. The some chest work (10kg dumbbells) on a Swiss ball, for some reason that was more of a struggle than normal, meaning keeping my balance. There were some other ex thrown too, on the mat (core), then using the 'smith machine' I did some calf raises and squats, then finishing off with some ab work.


About a month ago I was offered to participate in a Leadership Program (I have been told I was selected across many job disciplines and regions) with 19 others from across the country. A part of this program has been completing a 'self inventory personality test' and having two superiors, two peers & one subordinate complete the same test commenting on my traits & behaviours. As well I have had to complete the Myer Briggs test. But today was a big day, I had to be prepared for a five hour testing phase where I was given numerous tasks that I needed to prioritise and complete within the timeframe, initially I thought I was cruising but after three hours and realising I was probably only half way into the tasks I knew I was going to have to push along. By the end of five hours I didn't complete all of the tasks (many suggested that you're not suppose to, you need to ensure that you have prioritised correctly) and I felt extremely 'drained'. The final part of this program is in mid March where I go to Canberra for a week and become involved in giving oral briefs, presentations and group discussion etc. So I will catch up wit some Canberra runners between 11 & 16 Mar.

So as I was driving home this evening I decided that I didn't feel like completing a track session by myself, so I piked it and went home and went for a relaxing (clearing the head) 5km run from home in just over 22 minutes. It was still over 26 degrees and the humidity was still quite high, so I was very hot & bothered but my head felt better, job done!!

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Sounds like you needed a head-clearing run after that day Stu.

It'd be great to catch up when you're in town. If you want to race at Vets on 15 March there's a 4x800 relay and 3000/5000. Otherwise, I'd be up for easy runs (post 6') or you could join the group Tues or Thurs for a track session at Calwell.