Sunday 25 February 2007

Sun 25 Feb 07, You Yangs, 2 hours


Home last night at 2am from the wedding, walked home from the last train (12:35 from Flinders) and woke at 8am. I then wondered around home drinking some water and wasting time whilst waiting for my Garmin to collect some much required re-charging, left home for the trip to YY at 9am.

I guessed I would be by myself today as most were going to OP for the State Champs & the Underage Relay Champs and also no-one knew I was going out late. According to my car temp gauge it was 19 degrees when I started and 22 when I finished, but I was very comfortable with no top. When I started the first 2k were quite a struggle, every joint in my lower body felt like it was creaking and groaning, but finally I started to get a move along. Today in hindsight was a very good run and maybe some of the previous months work is starting to kick in, I ran the hills feeling much stronger today.

For the locals and my own notes, I ran up to the Turntable Car park, a quick drink, and then ran the Branding Loop Trail, running all the way back up the hill for only the second time at my pace (not including slow runs with others), another small drink and then back onto the Branding Loop Trail but in the reverse direction but only for 1.2km where I turned left up the BIG hill. Last week I guessed that this hill was 800m and I wasn't to far off, 870m, a rise of 110m elevation and OMG it is tough for me, I didn't run all the way today but I know I ran further than last week, so I'm happy with that. Once at the top I ran along the dirt trail which has lots of small rolling rises, back to the car park where I refueled, I used an Endura Gel today and washed it down with some water. Then up the Flinders Peak stairway until I got to the West Walk Trail, I haven't run this for awhile as it is much more like a goat track where you need to walk a couple of times for safety reasons and to get over boulders etc. If David is reading, yep HEAPS of scratches today, legs, back & arms, we really need to re-name that Track!!! Once I finished that trail I stopped at the carpark for another drink and then made my way down the road to the Big Rock track and then to the front gate up the road until I hit 2 hours, which was only 21.5km. A tough 21k!

I reckon 2 months ago if I attempted that run it would have taken me more than 5 minutes extra and I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did today, but it would have been much more enjoyable with company.

Luke S enjoyed his first Open age State Champs race today in the 3k steeple, he just missed the 10 min mark, but he was very happy but a bit disappointed that he lost his way when out by himself. He finished 4th.

2 comments:

Ewen said...

I know how well you do in the rough stuff Stu, so it must have been a tough 21k!

Great training for Puffing Billy :)

Anonymous said...

That's a great run Stu. Even more so with the 'late going to bed'. It was my last day of holidays so I enjoyed a sleep-in.

In relation to the YY do you have any charts or maps with the trails marked out. I wouldn't mind having a go at the trails rather than GCD.