Sunday 28 January 2007

Sun 28 Jan 07, two hours at the You Yangs


This morning I met at the front gate of the You Yangs at 8.30am, I knew most of the guys that I normally train with would be absent, so I ran with Luke (well he jogged slowly and ran the hills very hard and then came back to us) & Cookie (another coach of Little A's & competes with the VAL). Having Cookie with us was great, he runs with the VAL (Pros) but he intends to run with us during the winter season instead of coaching the Western Districts AFL Umpires, which is great for us and also he has been running the You Yangs for more than 20 years so he is going to show us some great new trails.

So we started with running up to Turntable (FP car park) from here I wanted to run the Rockford Trail, so off we went, then after 10 minutes we let Cookie pick the direction and what a great run it was! Some bloody big hills and then lots of small but very sharp hills. We ended up in areas with some great views of the area and even could see the beach in Geelong. We ran a lot of the MTB courses which was great and then ran up (300m elevation) where the large majority of the last Ned Kelly movie with Heath Ledger (that scenery is very familar) was done, we seen BIG goats and also some BIG male grey kangaroos, normally the YY are wallaby region, but obviously not where we went today.

An enjoyable run 1h 56m for 21.2km, not like a road run!! :-) I now wonder why I spent some many hours on boring roads when these trails are everywhere.



This is a view from the West/East Walk, the stones were set by the local aboriginals depicting a wedge tail eagle. The view also shows the lovely Aussie bush.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it just takes someone else to take you off the beaten path.

Glad you had such an enjoyable run, it was a good day for it.

Ewen said...

Sounds fantastic Stu. Trails are good for the soul. You'll have to take me out there if I ever get down that way. Great to have a guide who knows the area well.

Anonymous said...

I might have to join you one Sunday, get me off Great Circle Drive. Sounds like a great run.