Sunday 1 May 2005

Sat 30 Apr, Race Day

Today I am racing at Yarra Bend, Fairfield, for the non Melbourne people this was the course for the National Cross Country Championships in 2003, I have never raced here before and I am hoping the course is not too challenging, x-country is not my preferred surface.

Today Western Athletics creates some more Club history by having 5 complete teams competing in the first race of the season, we have men's div 5 & 7, women div 3, men U20 & women U18, WOW, a lot of work behind the scene has created a very good team spirit, we are hoping consistently fielding a team will bring success!!!

Due to attending a wedding this afternoon I am running first in the Div 7 team, the race starts 1.30pm, I am anxiously awaiting!

19 teams line up in Div 7, WOW, and some of them are young & fast, all of the other divisions are lined up in front of us, the only division behind us are women div 3 and the U18, U16 & U14 start at 2pm, so there are more than a 100 people in front of me already. The whistle to take our marks and then the gun, within 200m I am sitting probably mid field of Div 7, I foolow a couple of the young ones and weave my way thru the field, probably too fast for the first 2kms, (oh well), I finish the first lap in 12:19 and follow up with a 13:06, but with NO kick :-((

The course was good overall with just a short hill each lap to contend with, due to leaving immediately after the race I am not sure how the rest of the teams have gone, but I know the U20 boys finish 4th or 5th and the others were hopefully mid field in their respective divisions. I'll know very soon!

The wedding was great and the reception was the first time I have been drunk this year, the sunday run will be interesting!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Stu, I wouldn't worry about the split times. No one I've talked to who were at the run managed to do so. Sounds like its going to be a big year for AV. Lots of young runners in Div 7, you say?

Anonymous said...

sorry, last post was me - jegster