Sunday 29 May 2005

Sat 28 May, 10km Race Day

A busy morning, Connor has a cross country race at 9am and then straight to soccer until 10:40. Thats good it saves me pondering the race. I get home and get all my gear together and leave at 12pm, in hand splits for 40 min, 40:30 & 41 min. Last year at Sandown I ran 43:13, I know I will beat that!

Today we are expecting 15 degrees with rain & wind. On arrival at the Race track its raining and its windy, straight into your face along the main straight (4 times). The underage & woman are at 2pm, Cam starts very well and with 3.1km to go he is looking perfect for a mid 35 min, but he has some breathing probs (again) and suffers along for a 37:20, he was not talking to anyone and sat by himself most of the arvo...

Today a big crowd and I put myself in the middle of the pack and prepare myself for a good one. See heaps of AV CRs, Old Miler, GaryO, Fish, Biggers (first time), Ralph Wiggum, Toomz (aiming for 31, wow) and someone else who I have forgotton. The course is a 700m and 3 x 3.1km laps, I start and feel great but I know I have to remain controlled, slightly slow for the first part, just over 41 min time, but the crowd is big but moving. The race was great, I think I was just too controlled on the second lap, but excluding that I would say it all went perfectly.

Splits: 2:54, 12:21, 12:57 & 12:19 = 40:32 A PB of nearly 1 minute from Mar and 2 min 40s from last year, I am wrapped.

A lot of support from team mates at the finish but also heaps of well dones from guys from other Clubs who I have got to know over the past few years. I AM VERY HAPPY! :-))

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Stu..a PB is a PB!
I saw you warming up at Sandown. Please excuse the abrupt suggestions
1)Lose 6kg..you look more like a footballer than a runner...better for power/weight ratio
2)Before next 10km..do 2 3/5km races
You will then smash the 40km barrier!

Jen said...

Congratulations on the PB Stu !!!

Stu Mac said...

Thanks guys.

Yer agree SS, but 3 years ago I was 109kgs so 80ish is a big improvement.

In the last 12 months I have dropped from 85-86 to 80-81 so as you can imagine its a hard slog, but its happening.

Anonymous said...

In haste I said 3 years, but thats incorrect. Three years ago I was about 98kg, 5 years ago I was 109kg. This time last year I was 85-86kg, so whilst agreeing it would be great to be 75 and as a result run much faster, I do not think this will be a quick thing or an easy thing.
Drink alcohol maybe once a week, no fast food, very little sweets and exercise 6-7 times a week.

Stu Mac (forgot password, at work)