Saturday 17 January 2009

Shield comp @ Aberfeldie

The day started at the Hoppers track for the Werribee LAC Multi Day, 19 kids from my junior training squad competed today only Claire (purely a distance runner) & Chantelle (holidaying) did not compete. With many of the 19 competing at the State Multi Champs at the end of this month, today was a perfect hitout and one that we wanted to dominate. 13 medals, 7 gold which was an excellent result out of 16 categories. And a lot of PBs across the five disciplines; long jump, 100m dash, 80m or > hurdles, discus & 800m. One injury, sadly Connor who has a heel issue (which I think may be growth related), was having a lot of discomfort which resulted in tears in the final 20m of his 100m and it takes a lot for Connor to cry.

I watched all of the medal presentations, then dropped the boys off at home and then off to Aberfeldie for a planned 1500m & 200m. Arrived with loads of time, chatted with Jo & Claire about their races (1500) and convince Claire to enter for the relays (4x400) and to do a 100 for eligibility. I went with a few of the guys for a 11 minute warm up and then I did 4 strides on the bend to finish my warm up. I was allocated in the 5th heat, I pushed myself into the 5-5:15 heat instead of being in the 5:20+ heat, I wanted to work hard and try and stick, I seriously thought I would run 5:15-20 even with the gusty, squally wind.

12 runners in the heat and within 50m I was 11th (which is were I stayed), I sitting directly (& happily) behind Trenton from Preston AC, first lap down .... 79/80 sec, fuck...too fast, I wanted 82-85 and I knew I was working harder than I wanted. The second lap I stayed behind Trenton, at the 600m mark I came alongside him but I knew his pace was mine and it would be beneficial to sit, 800m down and I heard the time, quick arithmetic told me that I was too slow and I knew I was slowing down...at the 1k mark Trenton's old man & coach of many yelled his 1k time, Trenton's swore and increased his pace, within a few steps I knew I was going to finish this by myself. I eventually crossed in 5:28/9, not happy! Whilst it was windy, I had stuff this up, too fast and not run well.

I went for an easy 5 min jog around the track and then set myself up at the start of the front straight so I could call times for Jo & Claire in their 1500m race, I then went for a 25 minute run along the river with a few of the guys from the Club and then another 6-8 min with Loren.

2 comments:

jojo said...

well- you know what i think- sometimes you just have to accept a SB is a SB even if you didnt hit the time you wanted.

Ewen said...

Jo is pretty smart! But she'd be a SOFT coach.

Looks like you're 'between' heats - a bit slow for the 5 minute one, but too quick or the 5:30 one. If you had someone ahead running 21 secs per 100 (83ish first lap), you'd probably run 5:15. There'll be faster SBs before the season is over.