Saturday 24 January 2009

A little bit of easy running

I arrived at Little Aths nice and early (just before 8am) and a couple of the U13 girls were already there, so I encouraged them to do a warm up with me, 3 laps in lane 6-8, chatting about the upcoming 1500 and combating the wind (why is it always windy here???).

I took the general warm up which involves running a lap and then some strides on the infield and some general drills and dynamic stretching.

The 1500m U13 race didn't go to plan, but some new styles were tried by most with varying results.
____________

Once aths was finished I took C & D home and then made my way to Geelong to watch Jo's 400m in the Vic Country titles, very windy with a crossing head wind up the front straight, damn, why couldn't it be still. I went for a warm up with Jo, chatting about nothing in general, trying to keep her calm (ish), we were running along the river. On the return trip we did some dynamic work and drills with a couple of surges, all up just over 2k. We then walked back into the complex, picked up Jo's spikes and made our way up to the start of the 100m straight, I got Jo to run a few strides on the bend in her trainers before getting into spikes and completing the stride into the straight (to feel the wind in her face). Spikes off and then up to the marshaling area.

With knowledge of many of her competitors we knew there were a couple of quickies in her heat. The plan was a faster start than normal, then sit and float the back straight and then work work work. With Jo's back injury, block starts are not practised....but should be! I noticed a couple flaws which we discussed on the cool down and these will easily assist a better start.

In very average conditions Jo ran a good race, 68.10, a season best and in good conditions would easily have been in the mid to low 67s, I believe and with a better block start the 66 is not to far away.

We jogged after the race, chatting about the race etc, about 3k. So for a non running day (the heel still) I still managed a few kms, 6-7 worth.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

I think she ran well this weekend because you devoted so much time to the warm-up routine.

I suppose standing starts are out? They let Masters do them up here.