Tuesday 20 January 2009

AV Rd 11 @ Aberfeldie, twilight meet

OMFG how hot was it today? Well according to Weatherzone it was 39.6 degrees at 1.30pm in Point Cook, but eventually it dropped to 27 degrees and it felt good...

I arrived at the track to drop off Connor & Declan and to pick up Celeste to take her to her first AV meet (seniors, so the Little Aths kids call it). We arrived nice and early, which is unusual for me, I chatted with my group, Scott, Michelle, Jo & Celeste and of course then the normal guys & girls from the various distance groups who know me as the Winter Team Manager, so they know I know 'stuff'. So other words, quite busy.

Eventually I took off for a warm up and then made my way over to the 200m marshaling area, in a heat which was suppose to be a 30 sec group, well I ran 7th in 30.51 and was a LONG way behind 6th. Then one of the 'dicks' who finished way ahead of me said something stupid and an annoyed Stu gave him 'serve', I have now run in the same heat as this person and he always runs 28 sec and I told him if I ever get allocated in the same heat I will walk off the track and complain! There are no extra points for dickheads who win slow heats.

I sat around and watched some of the 200m heats which involved Michelle, Celeste & Claire then over to the men's 1500m. I was still pissed re my 200 and I didn't have any expectations, I was allocated in the 5th (last) heat 5:15 +. Race started and I got over to the inside early and was happy where I sitting, through the first lap in 88, wow 8 sec slower than Sat, no probs. Next lap 87 and I was sitting with a couple of guys. I was receiving a lot of encouragement from a group of kids from my junior squad who had come to watch some seniors racing, which was great and helped me continue at this pace. I heard the 1200m time, I was starting to re-catch a Melb Uni runner and once into the front straight I managed to move past him and hold my finish in a SB of 5:24, thankfully...

After 30 minute of helping as an official I prepared for a 400m race which I ran with some squally winds, not sure of my time, it felt good.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

It puzzles me why some runners like to 'win' slow heats - don't the know they'll get a faster time in a competitive race?

Good pacing in the 15. Some difference in those first laps of the two races. I'm thinking 84-5 would be a good first lap next time.

Running in this heat makes me wish track was a winter sport!