Monday 12 January 2009

Coaching the juniors & an easy run home

At the track tonight with my juniors, a couple of new invited girls, Victoria who is a very accomplished 400m runner in the U10 ranks and Chelsea an U12 800/1500 runner who will suit the group perfectly, with the 6 U13 distance girls, of course as Burkie reminds me these girls will all be teenagers soon and sometimes groups of 10-15 teenagers girls can be a handful.... I'll have to wait & see.... :-)

I did 2 laps of easy running with a few of the kids and then whilst the kids did 3x60m & 2x100m strides I did 2x60m & 1x100m and the others I watched form and made some suggestions. I split the group into 2, both doing the same set but slightly different recoveries. 4/5/6x300m with 200m float/shuffle, but the sprinting & younger group did cross over recoveries. I ran with the older group in lane 2/3 setting the pace and encouraging, we did each rep in 71-4sec and then an 80-90 sec recovery, a tough set for the kids.

After the two lap cool down on the grass we stretched as a group, big emphasis on glutes, hamstrings, calves, hip flexors and then some front & oblique planks. Over the past month I have encouraged the group of parents to walk whilst we train, which they are now loving and occasionally they are run/walking, which is great for their well being but also for the kids to see their parents being active. All of the mums joined us today for the stretching & planks!

After a finished chatting with the group and the parents I ran home along the Fed Trail and onto Skeleton Creek, according to MapMyRun 6.8k in 32.02, surprisingly 4.44 pace, the quads were saying hello, but I worked up a nice sweat and finished off a good day. Total session: just over 11k including the floats.

1 comment:

jojo said...

youre definitely heading in the right direction with your fitness