Wednesday 28 May 2008

VPSSA Western XC Championships

I took today off so I could attend the Primary School Region XC Champs at the Brimbank Park, lots of kids from my younger squad where racing, only a few not there. To progress to the States you need to finish in the top 6. Natalie (1st), Mia (2nd), Alexie (3rd), Chantelle (5th), Teagan (7th), Chelsea (12-15); all were in the 10 year old race, so 4 in the same race progressed. Next were Bailey (10th), Ben (14th), Thomas (20th) in the boy's 10 year race. I knew kids in the 11 year old race, but none in my squad. The final races were the 12/13 boys & girls, previous years none of these kids had made the top 20 before, Claire (5th - WOW), Elysse (14th) & Zac (14th). A few other kids should have been there but two missed their school race and two go to schools who do not participate in the VPSSA competition and choose to do NO external PE.

Great results and four of the kids in the 10 year race will be in the same category next year... So five kids will progress to the VPSSA Primary Schools and the rest of my squad will concentrate on the VLAA Region & State Champs, which will suit ages much better. A good day's races.
______________________________

Track training for the group tonight, those who raced will do some laps, strides and stretching. More to follow later...

I jogged five easy laps chatting individually with a few of the kids who didn't progress, talking about the coming months and where to for them. I did some strides, 2 laps during the sessions and then 6x110m strides.


Finished the night with a 60 min pilates session, I really noticed that I was able to hold a lot of the strength poses a lot better tonight, maybe the running is starting to make my legs a tad stronger. :-)

2 comments:

jojo said...

well you do have nice legs ;)

Ewen said...

That's great to have 5 making State. Excellent results from the others too!