Wednesday 21 May 2008

A morning stroll along the Yarra & coaching the juniors in the evening

This morning I parked my car in Wells St behind work and ran from there, the intent of todays run was to run 30-40 min, depending on how it all felt etc. According to MapMyRun it was just over 6km and I ran for 32min, nothing special, but a run to feel how the knee & achilles felt after a few days of running.

I wore skins and a T, but I didn't really need the Skins, calm conditions.
_______________________________

Tonight at the track with the young ones, only 11 tonight, lots of strength work & drills, I selected three évenish teams of four (yes me included), it was repeats of 400m at pace in a relay format, therefore the recovery was waiting for the other kids. Of course I changed the rules as the session went, with varying age groups you need flexibility. The race (so the kids called it), ended (18 min) with one team winning by 75m, myself as the last runner of team 3 started 200m behind the team 2 Captain (Michelle) and about 80m behind an 11 year old, I past her near the 200 mark and then continued hard until the water jump, but I knew I couldn't catch Mich, so I slowed up and waited for Monique to help encourage her and like most kids she found that little bit extra in the final 40m. Much to the disgust of my team members WE came last (strategically of course). But as I said across the line, WE ARE ALL WINNERS, because they had a GREAT session! With warm ups & drills and 4x400m, I did approx 9k today.

Achilles is GOOD, the knee...I'm aware of some discomfort, but nothing that slows me down (just fitness).

3 comments:

Ewen said...

Did your team give you the sack? ;) Sounds like a fun session. Parlouf relays are fun too if you mix 'sprinters' and distance runners.

Looks like you might be at a stage to build on that 300ks. Good news.

jojo said...

yay...about the achilles...im surprised you were happy to come last though......

Stu Mac said...

Jo, it is so much easier for the coach to watch from the side or from besides or from behind, but when leading you can't see much at all!!! :-)