Sunday 18 May 2008

Racing.....not me, just those I coach

A busy weekend of racing, but limited running for me, so I will have to continue to run through others, thankfully I love coaching...

The day started with picking C & D up, pouring rain...and cold (7 degrees), by the time we arrived it was just raining (not hard). WLAC normally have an average of 95 runners, we were down to approx mid 60's but all 26 kids I coach we there! :-)

Lots of great efforts on the Riverbend course, whilst this is an easy flat course, I jogged the course with a few of the kids and I actually found the footing very slippery and hard to push off and feel powerful.
_____________________________

A trip to Sandown for the Vic 10k Road Championships, the trip there was rain rain and more rain with my temperature guage showing 6 degrees for the entire trip. Wes Aths had 50ish runners today, starting with the juniors 3k race, with the U16 boys leading the pack including a Wes Aths boy who finished 3rd and then the second pack involved a couple of U18 & U20 girls and one U14 girl from Wes Aths. It is amazing watching little girls, we had 3 U14 girls finish before our first U20 girl (& she finished in the top 5 of the U20 race).

After the junior race, we got all of the U20 men & Open men & women to the start line, I helped collect jackets, dropped them back in the grand stand and then walked the course in reverse to give encouragement etc. Sadly our Club were missing three of our fastest men and a few more who would break 40, but we still managed nearly 30 runners. With a handful of the guys in the 34s and another 4 or so in the 35s, it was a good day, but COLD (5 degrees according to my car when I left). Congrats to Troopy for another win!!!
_____________________________

A few weeks ago I suggested to my Little Aths sqauad to consider running at the Bacchus Marsh Open Day, eleven kids & their parents also thought it was a good idea, a different course and some different competition. I got to run around a bit, watching races from the middle of the course and also jogging it with various kids at varying times, all up easily over 5km and the knee was ok (not great, just ok).

Eleven kids raced (other Werribee kids too) from my group, with four finishing with podiums finishes, but all raced VERY well and to be honest the run of the day went to a 4th place finisher, he beat two boys from Geelong who finished in the top 10 at State XC last year, last year B finished 22nd.

A good but COLD weekend!

1 comment:

Ewen said...

26 kids! How do you remember their names?

Very busy weekend Stu. I'm not sure you'd have time to race, even if you could ;)

I think we beat you for wind-chill on Saturday 7C felt like 1C!