Friday 24 July 2009

Victorian Primary & State Secondary XC Champs

Another day at Bundoora Park! I took today off to watch and support a few of my athletes, the Primary Schools was the BIG one, National Selection Trials. Today my Squad runners were Courtney, Lexie, Chantelle, Ash & Aliesha, Aliesha being the only runner in the State Secondaries.

Big crowds today, really big crowds...doesn't anyone work? Every race for U15 down had over 100 runners and the 16, 17 & 18-20 races all had about 70, so really big fields. My day started with L, C & C, we all jogged the 2k & 3k course working on the strategies for each runner.

To shorten my 'post', a very long day at Bundoora in cool windy weather ended up being a VERY exciting day. First race, the 10 year old girls, Lexie & Chantelle which was a great race, watching both girls respectively passing many runners in the final km as a result of their superior fitness which resulted in Lexie finishing 4th and qualifying for the National XC Champs at the end of Aug in Nowra and Chantelle finishing 13th!!!

Wow, I coach an athlete who has qualified via four qualifications races and has finished the 4th fastest 10 year old in Victoria, WOW. :-)

Not taking anything from the other girls but today will be the day I remember as the very first athlete who I have coached to a National Championships.


A long day on my feet and lots of running, but lots of smiles. :-)

1 comment:

jojo said...

congratulations.