Tuesday 1 January 2008

The first run for 2008 and I didn't melt (just)

Another scorcher in Melbourne...the 8am News said it was going to be 37 today, but by 11am it was 39.5 degrees in Werribee. 8:15am it was 29 degrees and by the time I got to Riverbend it was 30 degrees.

I started off nice and easy, but a quick check of my Garmin, 1.5km and I was running 13.3kph, so I slowed a little. I ran along the Werribee River until I got to the Werribee Tigers Ground where I stopped and had a drink and tried to cool myself down. Three laps on the oval, another drink and then I started making my way back to Riverbend.

I sat around 12kph until just over 8.5km when I decided I would run/walk back to the car as I knew the heat was starting to take its toll.

All up 11.2km, now if I could run that far each day I would run way further than 3500km for the 2008... :)
________________________

I went down to the track at 5pm to ensure that the track was open for those who wanted to train and to watch Luke do his drills set by Burkie over the hurdles. Mel was also at the track and was thinking 600m reps, but I suggested a change due to the heat and the wind, changed to lots of 200m reps with a jog/walk recovery. All 3 of us went for a 3k w/up, then whilst watching the two sessions I did about 15 minutes of stretching.

Whilst Luke was doing his stair work I did a 3 lap cool down with Mel. So a few extra k's and some good ground stretching.

1 comment:

Andrew(ajh) said...

Great effort to get out there and run today Stu!