Tuesday 15 January 2008

Strained hip flexor

Late Sunday arvo I started to experience some discomfort in my left hip flexor by the evening I was finding walking a problem, even from the movies (American Gangster) back to the car was an effort which was concerning.

Monday morning I attempted to book an appt with my physio (Bel) but wasn't able to get in, not thinking it was too much of a concern I decided no run and I would bum around Highpoint shopping centre...well that wasn't the smartest idea, nearly every 8-10 minutes I needed to sit down for 5 minutes for the discomfort to subside.

Once home I tried to book in at Bel's other Clinic, no luck, so I made an appt for any available physio for Tue 10am. Monday night had its moments where I woke with a very sore left leg, esp the very top of the quad/hip flexor.

Diagnosis; strained hip flexor with a possible small tear (both sides have below average movement...more bloody parts of my aging body to stretch), some massage, dry needling (first time, no pain) and then icing (shit I better do that again...now). No running for a few days and another appt on Thu. In hindsight I did notice my quads were more tired than normal on Sunday when going up the hills, the physio said I was probably fatiguing and the hip flexor received the extra work... So no running for an unknown period at this stage, even walking is difficult. For the next week at least, no running, minimal walking, no swimming, no pool running, no bike riding.


Tonight Western Aths are competing at Aberfeldie, this will be my first AV meet I will miss since May 06... :(

4 comments:

Andrew(ajh) said...

Bummer Stu, hope it recovers quickly. If you can't run, you'll have to make Jo run twice as much :-)

Ewen said...

Must be disappointing not being able to run for the club. At least it looks like a short-term injury.

Anonymous said...

bad luck Stu,
looks like a little rest may be in order

Unknown said...

Sounds like you've been prescribed "aggressive unloading"! Makes it sound more exciting than "rest".