Tuesday 8 January 2008

First track meet for 2008

For the past couple of months I had been contemplating competing in the 3k Steeple event tonight, to help collect points for the Club and as it is one of the events in the Region & Shield final and if I competed it would ensure that I would play a part in the Div 3 team. But I decided on Sunday that I wasn't fit enough and I didn't want to place that much pressure on my achilles, as I believed as I tired I may end up landing too much on my heel (esp on the water jump), i also decided I would run the 3000m only tonight.

With only one race tonight, I was able to get in a few gentle jogs with some of the guys when they were preparing for their 800m race etc and also I was able to watch Pierre and Jo's 800m, both were not what they wanted; Pierre ran about 5 sec slower than normal and Jo about 5-8 sec slower. I then went for a jog with the guys when they were cooling down.

With the 3k starting soon I went for another jog and then sat down to do some static stretching, so by race time I had already run over 6k, all nice and gentle. Today's goal was to run consistent and run under 12 minutes and happily I can say I did both.

Splits: 95.9, 97.4, 96, 95.9, 95.9, 94.9, 95.6 & 41.8 = 11:53.8, 15 seconds faster than last time and to be honest I felt in control and probably should have started to increase a bit more, but it was a positive race, even though it is a LONG way off (2 min) my PB from Feb 06.

Finished off with a solid cool down, 1.8k with a 14 year old girl and then 3 laps with Adrian & Ads.

2 comments:

jojo said...

..nice one stu...im just glad you didnt lap me...you missed me by..THAT much(in best maxwell smart voice :)

Ewen said...

Nice steady run Stu. That's my template for when I attempt sub-12!

You were wise to give the steeple a miss - although I love the event, it gave me the most drama with injuries.