Saturday 1 April 2006

Sat 01 Apr 2006, my birthday & the VMA T&F Championships

7.5km today and 46km for the week so far. 1/1 runs this month & 70/91 runs for the year

For those who are not aware I share my birthdate with many other 'so called' fools...it has its advantages, no-one ever forgets...

Only have a few minutes before I am going out for dinner with Cam. Today's race was VERY windy, which did slow it all down, but I can happily say I ran 4:53 and won a gold medal in my age group..... :-)

Added info on Sunday evening; There were 11 starters in my race of various age groups, the guys were were known to be faster than me where in the older categories, there was only mtself and one other in the 35-39 category. Thankfully it was a slow start by the guys up front and we just strung out in single file basically, with me in 10th for the first lap. In the back straight for the second time I moved past a couple, into 7th or so. Two laps down I heard 2:32 yelled from the sides, so I probably went through in 2:35ish, which I was happy with. For the entire race I had been sitting behind a known Melbourne Midday Miler (MMM) who I knew had a much faster 3k PB than me, with 600 to go he made a move, which I thought I would try and cover, with my age comp behind me, I was now just going for the ride and hoping to race a good time (I knew a PB was out of the question with this wind). 400m to go I knew Ian D was moving away, but I tried to hold, 200m to go it was all over for me, I was going to cross overall 5th and so I held at the same tempo and didn't try to increase the pace and crossed approx 6 sec behind my PB, but knowing I was racing tomorrow, I was very happy with this decision, as I probably only affected my time by 1-2 seconds.

Very happy!

5 comments:

Em said...

Well done!! and happy B.

Tesso said...

Well done Stu! Congrats on the gold medal.

So was it a 'new category' birthday? Whatever. Hope it was a good one.

Clairie said...

Brilliant effort.

And a very Happy Birthday to you. My husband has his birthday on 2/4 but we tease his mother that she changed the date from the 1st to avoid any jokes on him from his large family later in life.. :)

Anonymous said...

Well done on the Gold! It's always good to get a reward.

Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoyed the evening that followed your gold medal.

Ewen said...

Happy birthday for the 1st Stu!

Well done on the 1500 gold medal! That was a pretty handy time all things considered. I hope the 800 went well today.