Wednesday 26 April 2006

Wed 26 Apr 06, MMM race & Run to the G training group

14km today and 65km for the week so far, 22/26 runs this month

Up & at work before 8am, legs are tired and I am aware of a few spots that Narelle really worked over. Today I am involved in my first Melbourne Midday Milers race since becoming a member. The "Killer Loop", an approximate 4.8km handicap race, 6 laps of approx 800m, with 2 nasty hills. I was off 6m 10s, with absences I was 4th off, started with another guy. I tried to be controlled as I knew the run was going to get harder and harder and I am very aware I tend to start too quick for my own good.

Laps:
3:12
3:21
3:27
3:32
3:34
3:21

The final couple of hundred metres, Michael B (Grunter) was closing in on me so I tried so hard to keep him away but with the final steps he got me and I finished 5th, behind the 2 back marker who came through and finished in their rightful spots, the 2 best runners winning!!!

For a few minutes after the race I thought I was on the verge of emptying my stomach, that was how hard I pushed on the final lap and my legs were like jelly. Stayed for presentations and then jogged back to work.

Prior to the race I received an email from S2F asking if I could fill in for a sick Run Leader, I said yer, but not a fast group... So the evening finished with a jog to the city and then a 5k course (which I think is 5.5k) and then a jog back. All up another 7k easily. First time I have run twice in a day for a few months, I will take it easy for the remainder of the week.

Tomorrow I plan to go down to the track for a very easy session and then pilates.

No comments: