Sunday 23 April 2006

Sun 23 Apr 06, Geelong Half Marathon

23km today and for the week so far, 18/23 runs this month

Arrived in Geelong about 7:40ish and picked Crissy up at her hotel and then made our way to pick up our race t-shirts. We a loads of time up our sleeves we wondered around and then eventually went off for a 11 min warm up before some static stretching. Caught up with a couple of ppl I knew.

We got changeed and made the start line about 3-5 min before the race started. The plan was to be relaxed and ease into the first km, Crissy had a HRM which she wanted to use for a guide, so I asked her to ignore for the first km or so, until the run settled and then we could let the HRM guide her pace. A few weeks ago Crissy asked that I not be demanding and I provide lots of encouragement and advice, which I totally agreed upon and was more than happy to do. I hoped I could get her to ease into the run, relax, be consistent, listen to advice and work to the best of her ability, and she did all of this and did it well!!

Splits:
12.01
12.00
5km - 5.59 (30.02)
6.03
11.55
5.59
10km - 5.57 (59.57)
5.53
5.49
5.55
6.04
5.58
5.50
6.04
6.10
6.07
5.53
6.24 (incl that extra bit)
Total: 2.06.11

Some of the early km markers were not seen, hence some 2k times. Considering this was Crissy's first HM her consistent splits were very good.




The run for me was ok, a nice long slow run, but probably around the 17km mark I noticed my hip was starting to be annoying and I also noticed that my lower calf area was tightening which was probably due to a short stride. Anyway, a good day and I really enjoyed helping and giving some of my experiences to another runner.



The last few metres...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

From recent experience, I can assure you, Stu Mac, how much it means when another runner gives up his own run to help another!! Great generosity on your part!

Steve's Stuff said...

Stu, I agree with LuckyLegs, great effort helping another runner.

Wobbly man said...

Good one Stu - I did a pacing job last year for a couple of the Sydney CRs and it was one of my highlights of 2005.

My 2 weeks off is self-enforced. I didn't even think to mention it to Miler. Just wanted to get over all the niggles and start back feeling fresh for a change. (At my level it doesn't make that much difference to be honest)

Anonymous said...

There you have it Stu. I think you deserve a well earned Stella. If i was there, i would buy you one for helping me out with the Half.
Cheers baby!

Tesso said...

Good on you Stu. It must've meant so much to Crissy to have you there supporting her.

Ewen said...

A rewarding way to run a half Stu. Well done.

Anonymous said...

And a smile to finish.. very good!!