Tuesday 18 April 2006

Easter Sat, AMA 35-39 1500m race

7km today and 52km for the week so far. 13/15 runs this month & 82/105 runs for the year

Good Friday night was quiet, but very satisfied with my 800m, but just dinner and a few wines with dinner. Partying will be on Saturday night after both races are done! Then back to my room and watched a little bit of TV, had a beer and layed around my room. Fairly ealy to bed with my 1500m race scheduled for 12:30pm. I woke 8ish, which was a nice sleep, showered & went downstairs for breaky. Today's weather wasn't as good today, must be something to do with 1500m races. Arrived at the track around 10ish, quite cool and breezy.

Today's expected top temp was to be 16, but the morning was cool and windy today, obviously the weather man doesn't like 1500m races. Quite cool when I arrived, a lot of people were wearing jackets, even some wearing gloves etc. Just before 11am I took off for a very slow 20 minute jog, up into the bush and past some buidings which I think were educational style. On return to the track I went straight onto the track and did some easy strides, concentrating on my arm action and shoulder positioning, then stretched for awhile.




This photo was taken at the end of the back straight after running a few more strides trying to keep warm as the race had been delayed by more than 30+ minutes, so I needed to keep warm, so my jacket was on and off quite a bit.



The race was a combination of ages, 30-44, 3 races in one, quite small fields compared to the 800m races, which were were all seperate for each age group. I was allocated position 10, which was fine, I don't have any favorite for 1500m starts.


The race started quite quickly and I happily moved over to lane one asap, but in last position. A metre or so behind an ACT runner, coming down the front straight I thought maybe I should have been closer but decided no, stay relaxed and tried to remain to my planned race, for now. Nearing the 350m area I moved up and started to come alongside 2nd last and within the next 100m I moved onto the shoulder of my direct competition and sat there until the 1km mark where I decided I need to move now as he beat me in the 800 with a spurt.




But it proved not to be a winning formula, but I am happy I tried, with just less than 200m to go I was passed by the Qlder and I had nothing in me to stop him and I just pushed hard and finished as well as I could, 4:51.77, he ran 4:47ish, a PB for him.

I have a couple of other photos I would like to post but just don't appear to want to work, so maybe later. Overall I had a great weekend, some good races and some good times and a great way to finish off a long track season. I had some great relaxing days in Canberra with friends and have return home feeling a lot better and happier. I thank everyone for their messages via text and via my blog its great knowing others care too.

A few days of no running, it will be Wednesday before my first run, no speed sessions for a few weeks and refocus for the winter season and try and run some good times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey stu,
well done up at canberra,you are really nailing the 800m, enjoy the rest.we'll see you at yarra bend.
a great report too!

Ewen said...

You've had a good season Stu. Enjoy your break and the winter cross country runs.

That's Dale Moore (ACT) just near you. He ran about 35 for 10k last year.