Sunday 2 April 2006

Sun 2 Apr 06, 2nd day of the VMA Champs, 800m

11km today and for the week so far. 2/2 runs this month & 71/92 runs for the year

With my birthday out of the way, a nice dinner with my oldest and heaps of other reasons to smile, things are all good. I made the trek out to Glenhuntly again today for the 800m and possibly the 5000m (which I also entered in case I didn't think I had done the speed work for the 800).

15 lined up for the 800m race, heaps of different age groups and the movers were always going to be Robbie McCubbin (KSB, 43 years, 1m 53s) and Terry Hicks (Bendigo YMCA, Over 50, 2m 01-3s), but of course neither of these freaks :-) were in my age group, thankfully. I shared lane 3 deliberately with Terry Hicks so both us of us would have the room to move after the first steps. With some fast ones up front I decided to push fairly hard, maybe a touch too hard in the first 500, but...oh well. I think 66 for the first lap, but I knew I wanted to push on and today's conditions were good, so had to have a go, the final 120m were probably a little ugly, but I knew when I crossed first in my age group and either 5th or 6th overall I was rapt. A PB of 2:17.16, this was approx 6 seconds faster than last year and I was very happy.

A great chat with a bunch of the guys afterwards, listening to the style of training Robbie does to run so fast as a 43 year old....hmmm food for thought!

A nice 35+ min run afterwards for a cool down which ended up just a nice run with a bunch of guys chatting about running.




This picture was taken from the Masters Champs last year by Cameron and as I didn't have any one to take a pic this year I thought I would post last years 800m start.

4 comments:

Sekhmet said...

All in all a good weekend for you :)

Nice one Stu, congratulations.

Tesso said...

Congrats on the PB Stu! 2:17.16 - not bad for an old guy ;-)

Unknown said...

Im working on getting to Canberra to see some of the T&F Champs, Stu, so maybe I'll get to meet you afterall. Nice PB in the lead up & Happy Birthday!

Ewen said...

Great PB Stu. Well done!

That 2:01 50+ runner is impressive. Must have some talent.