Friday 28 October 2005

Thu 27 Oct, Vic Milers Club Inaugural Race

6.5km today and 21km for the week so far

What a light week, 2 days of not running, 2 days of eating more than normal, 2 days of less sleep and 2 days where I normally would have been running, but at least I'm not overdone.....

Tonight myself, Cam & Luke (one of Cam's mate's) are competing at Box Hill with the Victorian Milers Club, this is their first meet, there are 4 men's heats and 2 women's heat, I was allocated to race in the Men's 4th heat, which appeared to have some very fast 4:20ish runners OMG.

The drive from Hoppers was very painful, 90-95 minutes, you have to love peak hour traffic. We arrived at 6.30ish which was 1 hour before the boys race, we registered and went for a warm up with Toomz, afterwards I caught up with ChrisB, jegster, Old Miler, Journeyman and heaps of others who run with Sandy who I have been for a few runs in the Dandy's. Myself, jegster and ChrisB were running in the same race, basically we knew there would be 2 groups, the 4:20-30 group and the 4:40+ group.

The boys ran great, Luke set a new PB (4:06) and Cam who has a PB of 4:12 but this season has run 4:37 & 4:29 ran a very good race finishing in 4:14, thank goodness, he is starting to come back. My race started quite quickly and by the 120m mark the groups had already formed. My first lap was in 71-72, too fast, but must continue on, I tried to keep the pace up but I had no kick for the final 300 and suffered when past by 3 who had been following, I tried to remain with them but couldn't. Crossed 4:48.8, 1.5 sec of my PB but I was happy, second time under 4:50 so I cannot complain. 11th out of 13.

Overall the concept was good, race and watch a bunch of very good fast races. Look forward to the next one.

No comments: