Wednesday 16 February 2005

Wed 16 Feb, mid week longer run

Well again Connor is home, the 'Prep & Grade One free days' are most annoying for my training schedule and Julie's meeting on Wednesday nights makes it nearly impossible for me to run. Getting up early isn't ideal, due to me not getting home until 11.30pm last night and then not getting to bed until nearly 1am. So what to do.

Having breaky with Connor (6) I suggest to him I would like to go for a run and would he like to watch me run around & around at Riverbend (open area, track would be 1.5km) and I would be able to see him, not ideal as I am schedule for a 70-90 minute run, but he could kick his footy around and I can get a run in. Connor says I could ride my bike and follow you. Very true, what a great idea, so off to Riverbend we go, but I have decided he can follow me on one of my fav tracks. We start off a bit slow, reminding him we will be doing this for awhile, we cross the dam wall (him walking, me carrying bike) and off along some muddy tracks (from the floods), he thinks its a bit hard but he likes how the mud flies in the air (boys). Luckily I do the washing... A few parts are steep up & down, so we do a bit of walking and I do a bit of assisting with the bike. But eventually we get to an area where I can run on a dirt track alongside and he rides on a bike path, excellent, pick up the pace and he loves it. After some fun times on mud tracks, Connor & I make it Wyndham Park, he stops and plays in a pond (trying to catch frogs, yes he gets wet) and I do some repeats up some hills and run around where I can generally see him (most of the time). Connor is now back on the bike and he can stay on paths most of the way, without including the walks I manage to squeeze in a 70 minute run, excellent. Well done Connor I'll treat you something nice this arvo, when we go trudging around the shops whilst I buy a new suit (an Public Servant interview on Monday, APS 6), he should be thrilled and sleep well tonight.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great twosome you & Connor make! When he grows up I hope you tell him how you used him to get your run in!
Did you buy him some nice noisy gadget? And how does the new suit fit??
I very much liked this post, StuMac, two kids out for a bit of fun together! LL