Friday 11 February 2005

Fri 11 Feb, easy run

After chatting with the coach yesterday, to discuss my last 4 weeks of training prior to my debut at the Victorian Masters (35-39) T&F Championships, I have been given the basic plan for the remainder of this time and a detail plan for the next 7 days.

So today I am off for an easy run. I run along the Werribee River, a favorite of mine, I drive to the start point and get the pleasure of running all dirt & grass for the entire time, so an easy pace with an easy surface. The river is still high and there are still parts of my normal run that I cannot do due to some tracks under water. I get 20 min into my run and I discover my breathing is a bit fast, so I slow down, mental note; I will wear my HRM when doing the easy runs for the next month.

Cruise along into Werribee and then return, not many out walking today, strange, its overcast but low 20s and little wind. Oh well, I feel very good, I haven't any niggles at all (haven't since my heel in Dec) and feel very good. Finish my run, walk for 3-5 minutes and then do some stretching and 25 push ups and 50 crunches, some more stretches of the hammies and then 20 p/ups & 50 sit ups (wrist to knee).

When I get home I send Burkie an email (cc: to some friends & another club coach) to confirm our conversation yesterday; see below:

G'day Peter, (hi to others, you are included for info, to see what the crazy guys is doing now)

I would like to confirm the plan for the next 7 days in preparation for my debut at the Vic Masters Championships (800m & 1500m):

Friday - easy jog, I ran for 47 minutes at approx 5 min per km pace, from Riverbend to Wyndham Park & return, mostly on dirt & grass, with a little on the asphalt path
Saturday - short track, speed session. I intend to try and do this on the track prior to Little A's if ok with the Little A's President & if the track is open early enough, if not I will do a similar session on the tan after the men's 1500m (at 3pm). If on track, what session do you suggest, 200s, 300s, 400s etc and how many & what pace (guessing 800 pace or faster?)? If at the tan, I will chat at State Champs.
Sunday - long run, will do 90 minutes at You Yangs, do Circle Drive and then continue on the flat ground. But for family reasons (keeping the peace) I need to do this early, so I am going to start at 7am. Do you have anyone else that is running long, will they want to be this early? Can you let me know, I will then send an email to all of the distance crew to give them choice.
Monday - easy jog, 30 minutes on roads in Hoppers, very easy. Or will I rest?
Tuesday - Shield Comp, will be racing 800m & 3000m. Would be interested in any suggestions, last time 2:24 (finished 3rd) and 11:08 for 3k, I will not be wearing a watch in the 800m.
Wednesday - mid week long run, normally 70-90 minutes, what pace etc. Will it be very slow or just see how I feel. This run will be done either very early, 5am ish, or about 8pm, due to family stuff.
Thursday - longer track session, for you to set, probably 800, 1000, 1200 repeats.

Rest day, don't really need this week if I keep the easy runs controlled, your thoughts. Over the Christmas New Year period, from 26 Dec to 25 Jan I only had 2 days off, one travelling to Sydney & the other the day before a Shield comp, during this time I was concentrating on runs on the dirt & road and had only done a handful of track sessions.

Haven't had a drink of alcohol for 2 weeks, normal healthy eating and both will continue, no alcohol until after Sunday 6th March (after the Masters Champs). Weight is sitting 81.5 - 82kg, has been for awhile, marathon day I was 81kg, clothes are looser than they were late last year(??). All is good, I have absolutely no niggles anywhere and haven't since the heel in Dec, motivation is good and keeping in 'check'. All is nearly perfect, now I wish I could just run faster...

Thanks for all the help

Stu

No comments: