Tuesday 15 February 2005

Tue 15 Feb, track races

Rest day on Monday, my coach has suggested I go for a walk or rest, so I stroll to the shopping centre and back = 20 minutes, not counting the strolling at the shops, but the thought of going for a walk as exercise didn't do it for me, so I mainly choose rest!

Today is the last round of the Shield Competition for the North West Region, as no Western A's Open Men's team have made the finals and therefore that's it for me, except for the Masters Champs in Mar. So a few weeks off from racing, concentrate on training and I will act as a Team Manager for one of the 5 teams that have made the finals (Men U18 & U16, Women Open Div 2, U18 & U16).

The plan for tonight is a strong 800m with a time around 2:25 and a 3000m with no watch and run to how I feel.

The 800m I moved into the 2:20-25 group, this meant I wouldn't be a leader but I needed to be aware of not going to hard too early. And I didn't, ten in the heat, sitting 8th at the 'cross over', sat in the pack on the rail and started to pass a couple in the front straight. Lots of team support tonight from the stands (a bit embarrassing) and I cross the start/finish line on 70.?, which is good and normal. I sit in the same position until around the start of the back straight and go around a couple. On the finishing bend I'm sitting 4th but I'm starting to struggle and I know 2 are coming, one flies past me and then another Essendon guy gets me 20m from the line. Afterwards coach asks 'again' why I pulled up, "I don't know, I didn't think I did, no watch this week", ??? Burkie thinks its a habit I have picked up in training, I did mention that I was looking for the finish line with 50 to go, but....., oh well, 2:24.88, my second fastest time ever, I'll take that.

The 3k was a big field and I happily got to the rail and settled really early today, according to Burkie's lap times I sat on 89-90 for the first few laps and I was feeling very comfortable. I know now that I can run a nice pace and I am happy with the pace I have achieved, under 90s, very good, a couple of quicker laps and I start to pass many. I try to catch a couple of known 11 min guys and sit behind them, but with 500 to go they start to pull away and I cannot react (or didn't). I cross 25th and finish 11m 11sec, this is my second fastest and I am very happy with this as I ran for the first time over this distance without a watch and I achieved a good time.

Warm up & stride thrus prior to and after both races.

No comments: