Sunday 3 August 2008

Victoria Little Athletics Assoc. XC Champs

Today 14 kids from my squad competed in the VLAA XC Champs: Jesse, Michelle, Elyse, Claire, Bailey, Thomas, Josh, Teagan, Chelsea, Bianca, Natalie, Courtney, Alexie and Demi. Seven of the kids were competing in their first XC Championships and Michelle in her last VLAA Champs (U15). Before the day started I was hoping to see at least one finish in the top 5 (she finished 4th); two finish 5-15th (11th & 16th), whilst those three kids are the fastest in the group I also hoped that every kids would improve of previous races and they all did.

Poor Claire struggled and being sick in bed on Monday proved that, but she still ran a lot better race than previous years. Michelle in her final Little Aths race far exceeded her or my expectations, her previous best result in U13 was 62/80, today she finished 15/36. A secondary comp exists in each race, a chance for Team Medals, the first 3 athletes from each Centre count for an age group medal, Werribee had various age group teams, for me I was interested in the U9 boys and U10 girls, as I coached all 6. The girls ended up finishing 9th, but they all ran well. The boys ran brillant, Bailey was fighting to try and stay in touch with the top 10 and Thomas was trying to stay in contact with Bailey, which worked a treat, as the boys were declared the third best team and were awarded a Bronze team medal. This was a special award, as it had taken a little bit of work to convince one of the boys to compete as he didn't think he was good enough, now he has a medal and because of all 3, they all have one. :)

This was my 6th Little Aths XC Champs that I have attended four as a dad & supporter for Cam and two as a coach and this was easily the best organised I have experienced, they posted expected starting times which worked!! And the marshalling system was pleasant for the athletes/Team Managers/Coaches/Parents, well done VLAA!

As the coach to the 14 kids mentioned above, I was very proud of the work that they put in and I know that they all will run some fine races over the summer season as a result of the hard work put in over winter.

No comments: