Saturday 12 July 2008

AV XCR08 Series, Round 6, 16km XC

This morning I meet my young squad at the You Yangs for their second week of longer running in the lead up to the VLLA State XC Champs. I organised two 16 year girls to come out with me so they could pace the front runners and I would conserve myself and trot along and be the 'tail end Charlie'.

So for me, a very gentle 4.5km run and the other kids kids ran 5.5km along the Branding Yard Rd.
___________________________

Today Round 6 of the AV XCR08 Series, for the men we were running 16km of cross country around the Geelong Eastern Park Gardens. After carrying out my Team Manager duties and chatting with those I coach, I went of with the guys from Western Aths and jogged 2k before doing some basic stretches. I trotted around to a few vantage points to watch the first 2k of the Open & U14 Women's race before completing a few strides.

Whilst I knew I was in NO sort of condition to race 10 mile of XC, but I was hoping to go a little better than La Trobe a month ago.

I started the race with all of my Club mates and within 100m I was at the back of all of the Western Aths guys, I tried to have a controlled start and was chatting to a South Melb runner who I knew from the Public Service but he is now the Deputy Mayor of Sth Melbourne region. Peter and I had a good battle at La Trobe and I got him in the last km, but this time I past him at the 4k mark and I never saw him again. Whilst my run was still average I know I beat a lot of guys who beat me at La Trobe.

4km Splits: 19:00, 19:35, 19:39 & 19:51

I tried to concentrate on the 3rd lap, which it appears that I did, but I think I then slowed a little to much and then got back into it with 2k to go and passed a lot of people and thankfully wasn't past by anyone.

Tired afterwards and slept VERY well!!!
___________________________

Club wise it was a little disappointing, we only managed 2 men's teams and one open wmns. On the morning of the race we lost a few guys to illness, two for work, one for an injury overnight and 3 who realised that they were not in good condition after the GCM, but we did manage to finish 3rd in Div 3 and 2nd in Div 5, but sadly our teams who were on top (Men Div 6, U20 & U16) all suffered badly.

Team results

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Pretty good pacing Stu. 16k cross country is a cruel event!

At least Western Aths got a few 'mentions' in the official video :)