Saturday 30 September 2006

Sat 30 Sep 06, AFL Grand Final Day, Swans V West Coast

8km today and 61km for the week.

Arriving at Williamstown Aths Track at 7:30am to register and prepare myself for the Hobson Bay Running Club 5km Handicap Race starting near the Aths track. Running today as a guest, invited by a few members, one who also runs with Western A's. Typical handicap for a guest, you give your proposed time and they work out your handicap, I proposed approx 19 minute, slightly over inflated (but this probably doesn't surprise some), with out taking into consideration yesterdays 17km run. Oh well...

I arrived and registered and after chatting with a few faces I recognised, I discovered that I knew nearly 15-20 people, strangely a few Wyndham region people and of course others I have just got to know from races and running groups. I started with a 2.5km warm up (with Steven) and then 4x50m strides with Adam (ads). I was starting on 15 minutes, I took off with a couple of guys starting 10 seconds after me that I knew I would be in and around, either me beat them or them get me in the final 500m or so, which is exactly the what happened, both ways.

My run, 19:21 wasn't as fast as I hoped, but it was my 3rd fastest 5k race and my fastest on the road, so I can take that away with me. The tight turns each 1.25km slowed me a bit and of course a decent run on Friday morning took a little of the freshness away.

1.25km Splits:
4.27 (a tad too fast)
4.55 (lost a little concentration)
5.01 (probably should have been 5-10 sec faster)
4.56
19:21.30

A nice breaky afterwards supplied from the Hobo's, not bad for $4...

The AFL Grand Final:As a proud & paid up member of the SFC/SMFC for many years, since the days of Lakeside Oval here in Melbourne and now in Sydney I wish it was a different result but I would rather lose a GF like we did than be hammered or worse still, not make it!

No matter what anyone says, it is better to come 2nd than 3rd or lower...

:(

6 comments:

Em said...

Or wooden spoon, again :-(

Anonymous said...

Was a good morning, nice catching up with you again. We should have run together, we were only 5 or 6 seconds apart. Maybe we could have pushed each other harder.

Ewen said...

The second half was good. A few 'if onlys' in there... Goal shooting for one. Pity about the result, but it was exciting.

Crissyjt said...

As a non-football-follower, i made sure i watched the WHOLE game today. I lllloved it. Was on the edge of my seat at the end.
They went down fighting.

Vicky said...

Still a pretty good time all things considered Stu. Condolences about the footy! Just saw the highlights on the news - we all thinks its mad here!
Hope the rest of your weekend went well!

If you get time, I have a question on my blog that you may be able to offer some advice on. I'd appreciate your opinion.

Cheers, MAR.

Clairie said...

Was a great game - they worked all the way through.

I would be happy with second place anytime - especially when it takes months of hard work to just get in the final game!!