Tuesday 8 August 2006

Tue 08 Aug 06, 8x1000m

13km today and 29km for the week so far, 5 runs/8 days this month

After a shocking trip home from the city, there was an accident between the tunnel and the Kings Rd entry onto the Westgate Fwy involving numerous cars and a semi, it took me over 30 minutes to get from Southbank to the Westgate Bridge... grrrr Eventually I arrived at the track just after 5:15pm, straight into the change rooms and into my warm up gear.

Very windy tonight in Werribee, this was going to make rep work quite difficult. Prior to taking off for my warm up with Dave S (back from illness) I reminded Burkie we were 4 weeks out from the Half Marathon and we needed to work hard tonight and ignore the wind. After completing the normal 3 laps of the Complex I concentrated on doing some good long stretching, especially the quads & ITB (noting legs feel good now, the day off worked wonders). Whilst stretching Burkie suggested 8kms worth of rep work at 3:55 pace, pick any intervals and do it a little slower to ensure the wind doesn't destroy the session and to build confidence.

Tonight Darren & Rorie joined myself and Dave for the first reps, so a nice little pack was formed, with the knowledge that the leaders and the inside running would be shared. Rorie only completed 3 reps before having to leave, Dave struggled after a week of laying up in bed he managed 4x1k & 1x800 before calling it a day and Darren ran 6 reps he is stilling having ankle issues from the Vic XC Champs. I comfortably completed all 8 reps, surprisingly easily. Our recovery tonight was walking diagonally across the grassed area back to the start/finish line and then an immediate re-start.

Splits (recovery):
3:54 (1:18)
3:56 (1:18)
3:52 (1:20)
3:55 (1:20)
3:57 (1:19)
3:55 (1:11)
3:45 (1:09)
3:36 (walk 200m)

I then took my wet top off and put on a dry T and jacket and put my pants over my Skins and slowly jogged 3 laps of the track. Chatted with a few of the guys from the Committee about some plans on the Western A's website, including our monthly Newsletter and a few other bits & pieces.

Afterwards I chatted with Burkie re the session, I mentioned that the session felt very much within myself and I really noticed going a few seconds slower in the early part made the whole session very achievable, I have no doubt I could have continued on and done another 2 reps! :-)

No comments: