Thursday 13 August 2009

Why is my boss such a DH?

No gym today as I stayed home to watch Australia smash Ireland in a football match, 3-0, go Timmy Cahill, 2 great goals!!!


My heading, short & sweet, I am a very organised person, my Outlook calendar and task list controls my day, week & month! But not others, meetings are and can be the my slow death .... as my organisation's Business Manager I get invited to a lot of meetings, just in case and because every one wants the HR point of view. Well every time I attend my Director's meetings they go way over time, I mean way over and today was just too much for me! A 60 minute meeting/briefing that I walked out of at the 110 minute mark as I was late for another appointment and he just doesn't understand....anyway I want to talk running!
_____________

Indoor football semi finals today, 4th Vs 5th, winner stays, loser leaves ... half time 3 all, a great game and that's the way it stayed, close and tight. When the 5 minute to go call was made it was 6 all, the 1 minute call - still 6 all, but .... (there's always a but ...), sadly a goal was scored in the final 2/3 seconds and then the final whistle ... we lost and are out of the competition!
_____________

Due to the heading, I left work early as my mood was not harmonious for the work environment, which was compounded with the soccer match, so I did what any Public Servant with more than 12 hours in his flex credit, I left EARLY. Home early, did some housework and then went to the track early so I could do my session and then point & coach.

My session started with 5 laps of the grass infield, then I started some simple/little impact drills for 10 minutes or so. Burkie arrived and was surprised to see me prior to 4:30pm on the track already, he had a 13 year old Sudanese boy who has just joined Burkie's group, 'Boa' (not sure of spelling or pronunciation), I have trained with him once before (5x4 min efforts). Burkie asked what I was upto and I knew I would be happy for some company, so 6x800m in 3m 5s ish with a 2 min recovery, so Boa quickly warmed up and joined in and completed 4x100m strides with me, grateful for the company as I knew I might struggle with the slight wind that seemed to be building but to be honest others do help to keep me honest.

Off we went, Boa is a typical African runner, relaxed action and wants to run faster than he should, BUT he is young enough to accept guidance and he stuck with me, but I could feel his surges...whilst he had some issues, he did the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 6th rep, my times were:
  • 3.03
  • 3.03
  • 3.01
  • 3.02
  • 3.07
  • 3.08

Ohhhh I was gone and I so wanted to drop out at the 600m mark during the last two reps, but I knew I was going to have company on the last rep so that helped keep me going ... but I was happy that it was done. I finished off with 2 easy laps and then coaching.

2 comments:

Em said...

I walked out of the office early on Wednesday after coming to the realisation that my Boss's Boss (my one up) is a complete and utter f*ckwit and that if I didn't leave I was going to make a rather employment limiting move and tell him!

I suppose we just have to walk away don't we....

Ewen said...

Boa sounds like an exciting prospect.

Not bad on those - even if the last two were off a bit.

Hope the flood situation is fixed and the insurance pays for new carpet.