Tuesday 18 August 2009

Gym & track

This morning started in the gym at 6.20am, staying there for an enjoyable 40 minutes, 15 minutes on the bike just rolling the legs over and then standing cable cross overs & oblique lifts, then 3x15 lunges and 15 minutes of ab & core strength work.
_____________

A great night at the track, not cold and no wind to speak of, just the most gentle breeze. After giving Jo & Elyse their session and organising Teagan I started with 3 casual laps on the track before joining Teagan for some gentle drills and then leaving her with a few more I started my 4x100m strides with David & a few others on the last 2.

The plan for me was 6x800m in 3.05-10 with a 90 sec recovery, with more concentration on the time of the rep than the recovery. With a group of 6 to start with I dropped in behind David and concentrated on relaxing and a slight lean forward. Times were:
  • 3.06 (96 sec recovery)

  • 3.05 (101 sec recovery)

  • 3.06 (2 min)

  • 3.07 (2m 10s)

  • 3.04 (2m 12s)

  • 3.03


I finished off with 2 laps on the track and 1 on the grass for my cool down. Another enjoyable set and quite satisfied after the weekends runs.

_____________


Last night at the World Championships the men's 10000m race was won by the great Bekele! Dave McNeil (left) finished an admirable 24th in low 29s. The picture says a lot to me, this young man is months older than my son, Cameron, I have watched Dave race for nearly 10 years and to see him in this condition is sad, but I hope he, his coach, his loved ones, his friends and all lovers of distance running are so proud! Have a look at him, he did NOT leave any behind, he gave his all for himself and for his Australian uniform! Well done Dave!!

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Gutsy effort from McNeil. A bit sad - must have had some issue to keep him from running his best.

That 10k was some race - 13:05 for the second 5k!

jojo said...

nice even reps Mr Stu-i think i need you to teach me pacing cos im sh1t at it at the moment