Wednesday 26 January 2005

Tue 25 Jan, track competition

Well today was a hot one (37 degrees), luckily I was able to remain inside most of the day and drink lots of water. I have an infection in my left eye and it is very annoying, do not appreciate bright lights or the sun, takes a long time for me to adjust (15-20min), could be a problem tonight.

The track meet starts at 6.30pm and the men's 1500s will start 7.20pm.

There are 4 heats of 12-15 and I have been moved up into the 4.45 - 5.05 pack, I know I will need to sit at the back of this pack and not get carried away. The goal of a sub 5 min will probably not happen today. The race starts and I am sitting last in a race of 14 at the end of the back straight, but that is fine. I sit directly behind a known KSB runner who is normally a 4.40 runner but I know he is taking it easy today. I follow Brownie for 800m, but he starts to pull away, but we are catching a bunch and I might pick one of the young guys (16-17ish), I pass him (he beat me on Sat) on the bend with 550 to go, I have been sitting on the required 80 per lap, but I think this lap I have slowed (I did 82), lots of encouragement from club members on the side and a couple of the guys from Coburg. With 300 to go I start to slowly try and pick up my pace but it doesn't feel like it, I eventually cross, 2nd last (13th) in a time of 5:07.41. I am not very happy but then I think about this time last year I was trying to break 5:15, so overall I have improved.

I choose not to run a 400m tonight, not in the mood, did shot put and watched the 3k Steeple (son's mate) and then go home early.

Obviously did my warmp up & cool downs on the 'normal' Aberfeldie track outside.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Run Stu Mac. 80 second 400s are hard to hold. Not that I have done more than one at a time.

Plu