Sunday 23 January 2005

Sat 22 Jan, track competition

Well today is the first 1500m I have competed in since Nov when I injured my heel in the 2k Steeple. The weather is good and I feel ok, I really want to get that little bit closer to 5min, but will have to wait and see.

Arrive just after 4pm, the first of the men's races starts at 4.50pm, so I'm off for a 12 min w/up and then I'll do some gentle stretches. Followed by a couple of run thrus on the loose dirt track on the back fence at Aberfeldie. Then I do my 'ground stretches'.

I go over to the 1500 start early to watch the first races of the women and then the first 2 heats of men, they start to grade the lower grades, 4.45 onwards, I get allocated the last heat, starting at 5.05, should be a good heat, 15 starters and I should be one of the first 5 or so. Burkie tells me to go gentle and not get caught up with the leaders, first lap must be 80ish.

Race starts and I move into 6-8 along back straight and bend, move around a couple in straight and cross start/finish at 59-60 (perfect)., pass Burkie on 80 and then again on 2.40, perfect, sitting 4th. Start to catch the front 3 and I'm following Jonesy from ATE. A lap to go I start to try and press on (maybe a touch early), 300 to go Burkey yells "4:02, have a go", I try to pick 2nd on back straight, move into 2nd with 200 to go, no chance of first, but want to hold, but alas the legs are gone, the straight is taking for ever and I am passed by 2 and finish 4th, 5:03.63.

Not too bad, I have only run in the 2's once and now the 3's three times, but this one was with good splits, so I am happy.

I go for a 10 min cool down and feel alot better for that.

I also raced a 400m, ran in lane 2, finished 2nd in a time 1:05.13. Only my 2nd for the year and 1.5sec behind PB, don't care, was happy with effort.

Not a bad day, will do a long one tmw and get ready for some more racing on Tue night.

Weekly Note: 71 kms for the week, 241km for month & year. Burkie is more happy with 70's, he doesn't want to see me in the 80s & 90s again until Apr/May. He would like to see next week in the 50's.




No comments: