Thursday 17 April 2008

Training of the PS XC team

This morning there were 28 kids for the training session at the Wetlands, I took the 10-12 year olds and the 9 younger ones went with the PE teacher, Pauline. A bit of a buss after this mornings session, Pauline told me that because I coach one of the Grade 6 girls, Clare who is the fastest girl at the school and the kids from Tue were talking about it at school how good I was (so I'm told) and others wanted to be involved with Clare's coach. All a bit over the top, but still its always good for the ego.... :-)

Pauline wanted the kids to run the race course today, so we started off with a 750m warm up to the starting line and I then got them to do some gentle stretching, some dynamic and some static. I then took the kids around the course, we ran it in a fartlek style, changing paces and jogging on the spot allowing the slower kids to catch up, we continued this for 3k. Then a chat with all of the kids about an invite to Presidents Park on Sat and an invite for a light session after school on Monday at Wyndham Park, with their race on Wednesday.


My running, all up just over 4km's worth, probably too much, comfortable pace and I was easily setting the pace for these kids but in hindsight I can feel my achilles a bit, either because of doing too much or because I have stopped the pills etc...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pills, gotta be the pills!!

Geez that ego of yours is certainly taking a pounding :0)

Ewen said...

28 kids - you wouldn't want to have all of them in your squad! Pick out the talented and/or serious ones ;)

Good luck to Western Aths in the Relays.