Monday 7 April 2008

Gym in the morn & coaching at Pres Park in the evening

This morning I arrived in the gym at 6:30, the bloody bike is STILL broken, made some strong suggestive remarks to the dude who does f.all in the office. Instead of worrying too much about it, I went into the gym hall, grabbed some light boxing training gloves and did 15 minutes on the bags (trying to stay off my toes, which is hard). I got a good sweat up and then went back into the weight/cardio room and used various machines concentrating on back (upper & lower), shoulders and deltoids. The I did a bunch of ball work, some with weights and other core based. After 45 minutes I left feeling satisfied.
_______________________

This afternoon I went to Presidents Park in Werribee, it is a big piece of grass land adjoining the river, an adventure park, skate park, baseball stadiums etc. This afternoon was the return for my younger brigade, but tonight I also tried to get some of the older teenagers too and a couple of ladies (Jo & a new lady Michele). Jo, Michele, Melissa & Aliesha went with Scott for a 40 min run, Scott moved away after 5 minutes, he was the only local so I asked him to be the 'tour guide'.

With nearly 20 kids of various ages and also abilities, we took off running in various directions, but generally in the direction of the river, once there we stopped for 5 minutes to do some basic stretches and chat about what I wanted in the river area. The river has tracks in many directions with lots of little hills etc. I had the kids running fartlek style in the river area, they had lots of fun with the sharp ups and downs, kids find hard stuff fun!!!

Once we returned after 21 minutes of running (them not me, I only did 2kms worth) and 5 minutes of walking, I gave the kids an introduction to squats, lunges & the plank.
_______________________

To leave my blog today on a positive note; today at 3pm I had a short appt with Karen at OPSMC for my shockwave therapy. In between her appts I get squeezed in, I go straight into the treatment room and we chat along the hallway, shoes & sock off and straight onto the table ready for treatment. Today for the first time in 3 weeks Karen got her thumb into my achilles, hmmmmm, its not hurting, she pushes harder and more manipulation, still doesn't hurt....WOW. She makes a comment, "this is the best I have felt this tendon feel", so a little more aggressive manipulation. Very happy, me because I can't remember work like that not hurting (prob more than 6 months) and I suppose Karen because the SW therapy is working. So I receive my SW and then into her office (so she can write the bill and we discuss the coming weeks:

Keep taking the strong tabs until Sunday night, I am allowed to run 2-3km x 2 per week on grass with my kids group (she knows I coach), next week skip the SW and also stick with the couple of runs and no tabs (be prepared for some stiffness she suggested). Return in a fortnight, another hit of SW and then re-assess. The talk of surgery has gone from 70% to 10% or less!!! VERY HAPPY.

Let me say; finally, fucking finally!

Words for Stu: caution...control...smile!

3 comments:

jojo said...

i love the 3 words stu... am very very excited for you... wooooooo hooooooo

Anonymous said...

way to go stu,

Ewen said...

10% is fantastic Stu. I'm sure you'll return to normal running... if you take your own advice ;)

Nice session with the kids.