Tuesday 6 March 2007

Tue 06 Mar 07, Shield Rd 12 at Coburg


Tonight was the final round of the Shield Club competition and the North West Region made our way out to Coburg, first events at 6.30pm. We were down a few men runners but a small team were there collecting a few points and preparing ourselves for the finals. Tonight I planned to run the 1500 & 5000m and maybe the 4x100m relay (but I was hoping not).

I started the evening off with a 15 min w/up along the Merri Creek and then a few strides before stretching. Once on the back straight I did two more strides, probably only 50m and was in the 5 min & > group. After the first lap (80) I was sitting probably 10th in a field nearing 20, maybe more, but already I knew I was catching a few, I got on the tail of a Coburg runner and followed him around for a lap, I heard 2:40 after 2 laps, so another 80 sec lap and this one felt easier than the first :-), so I started to feel confident and pulled alongside the Coburg runner and then moved wuickly ahead and then returned back into my normal stride just before the bend. At the 1200m I heard Burkie call 4 min, which generally means to me I'll run about 5-5:02, but tonight I was feeling fairly good and I tried to pick up the pace with 250 to go and ran 4:57, first time under 5 min for a few months :-)

I took off with Adrian for a 12 min c/down and then another 10 minutes with Clare. Then I attempted to organise 2 relay teams, sadly it looked like I was going to have to run in my first 4x100m but complications happened and a lot of confusion and the second team (Div 4, my team) were scratched as we were not all at the starting points.

Next race, 5000m, a great night, no wind, low 20's and under lights (very poor lights). There were 36 starters and after 200m I think I was coming 34th, not to sure, but I went through the first 200m in 44sec and the first 400m in 90, so I was happy with my pace. After 1k I started to reel in a pack of runners ahead of me and slowly I past them. Due to the very poor lighting I couldn't see my watch so I didn't bother using it, which was the first time in a 5000m. I finished 25th in 19:38, I was happy with this. Finished off with a 8 min cool down with Adrian & Clare.

Home late again.

3 comments:

Tesso said...

Well done Stu. You must be pretty happy with that 1500m. The 5k wasn't too shabby either!

Ewen said...

Good double Stu. Well paced 15. A sub-5 is always nice. Pity about the relay - you would have been good up the back straight ;)

Vicky said...

Yeah, great racing there Stu, you just keep churning them out!

MAR.