Sunday 10 December 2006

Sun 10 Dec 06, 50 minutes along the beach

Today I went to Lorne to watch a mate compete in a mixed team in the Anaconda Adventure Race. Dave S, one of my training partners, completed the 13km ocean paddle and within their division they finished 2nd, still to confirm their overall position, but I assume they would have finished in the top 30 and there were 'hundreds' of teams.

I arrived in Lorne about 6:30am which allowed me to enjoy running along the ocean trails and on the form/hard sand, managing 50 minutes at a comfortable pace and then 10-15 minutes in the water to cool off before watching the BIG race. When I got out of my car at 6:30am it was 28 degrees, I knew it was going to be a hot day. (later in the day it got up to 42 degrees in Melb)

I found this competition very fascinating and interesting, even though I don't ride, paddle or swim, I am sure I could learn enough to have a go a some shorter events in 2007. ???


To answer R2Bs question from my previous entry; I've never thought I do not much core work, maybe 20-20 minutes a week and if I am to look in the mirror I could do a lot more. R2B, I do not have the pleasure of a lean build like many runners, so I every so often when I am starting to feel slightly overweight or I notice myself in the mirror, the core work seems to return.

2 comments:

Em said...

I'd say you'd do well in a canoe, if I can paddle a canoe with my puny girls arms anyone can and it's more fun than riding :-)

You should give it a go.

Tesso said...

Yep, those adventure races sure sound like 'fun'. My massage guy does the ones that last for days. After 18 or so Ironmans he needed a new challenge!