Sunday 7 August 2005

Sat 06 Aug, 16km X-C race @ Frankston

79.9kg, 20km today, 69km for week

The long drive to Frankston was taken early to take Cameron to his State Team meeting and like all things associated with schools it was running late and was poorly organised, but....the uniforms look very good.

Got to the course only 45 minutes prior to Cam's race (a 'dog' of a race is all that needs to be said). When the U20 race started myself and one other Club runner followed and checked out the 4km course for our warm up. Lots of turns and some wet patches and mud, with a few very short nasty hills, one of which proved to be nearly on hands & knees on the last lap... Whilst completing my warm up and checking over my shoulder for oncoming leaders I stuck my left foot in a hole and rolled my ankle, ouch. The ankle was causing me some problems when I started to cool down, so some tape and a continual warm up was in store to allow me to race.

The race started and I tried to make sure I kept myself in the clear so I could concentrate on my footing. The first 2 laps were VERY hard and I was seriously contemplating withdrawing, my ankle was sore and the course was proving to be quite difficult. But I knew I was sitting in 4th spot for our team, which meant I was still in a Div 5 spot so I continued on, but our 5th runner was catching at the 1/2 way mark. But about 1k into the 3rd lap I started to feel stronger (ankle still sore on some turns) so I started to push harder on the downhills. With a lap to go I knew I was pulling away from Mick (5th Western A) and I was starting to pass a few athletes fro other clubs. With 2km to go I knew I was catching a Mentone athlete (main comp in Div 5), with 1km to go I positioned myself 10m behind him and sat until we hit the aths track (300m to go), sat alongside him at the 200m and then kicked home and beat him by quite a bit, Burkie reckons I am getting a rep for my kick and obviously I need to start further back, but I explained my tactics, which he just smiled.

After the race I was very tired and sore, straight after the race I got ice and started the icing process, so no cool down run, which a few hours later I did really notice. The St. John's guy looked at my ankle, he smiled when I mentioned that I did it on my warm up and still raced, you know, that smile... he did mention what ligament I gave a tweak but I forgot within minutes. Ice, anti-inflams and elevation, with possible physio if it isn't fine'ish by Monday.

Splits: 17:15, 18:38, 18:38 & 18:12 = 1h 12m 44s PB

No run on Sunday, :-(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey SM

Far more consistent splits than I managed. Such a tough course and I had nothing left over the last kilometre or so. Got passed by three or four runners. Regards Jegster