Sunday 24 April 2005

Sun 24 Apr, Club pack run at You Yangs

Last night was the Western A's presentation night, which I was the MC for, it all appeared to go well and was a good night. Of course on my feet for the majority of the night, and preparing myself for it seems to have drained me a bit. I got to bed last night just after 1am and was off for my run at 7.30am.

A small group (6) of us ran for 20 minutes on the flat and then did the Great Circle Dve, at the 50 min mark I knew it was not going to be a good one, I struggled with the hills and even the last 2-3 k's on the flat was an effort.

Finished the run and Burkey asked how it went, my words were something tot he effect of not very good, and he replied "thats good, its about time you had a draining run, you can't expect them all to be great". Burkey suggested that I drop my week down by about 40%, freshen for the race, but also to recover from a BIG block of training.

It's now 6 hours after the run and I'm still tired, whilst the run was fairly hard, I think that a combination of four weeks work, Julie's trip to the hospital, a couple of nights of preparation as MC for last night and only 10 hours sleep over the past 2 nights, has resulted in the need for an easy week.

4 comments:

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Interesting take on a draining run. I will keep that in mind as I race this morning. Last time I did a half I felt great after and still had tons of energy but finish time also reflect the lack of effort. Maybe push a little hard and if I feel like crap after I will smile and know I left more of me out there and will have a better finish time. We Shall See....

Anonymous said...

Stu,
I suspect your coaches comments are spot on and a quiet week or 2 will unleash the benefits of all that hard work.
I have no doubt you are very close now to your 10km goal.
Its amazing how a freshen up can reload your system!

Anonymous said...

It certainly sounds like you need an easy week. Just the 5 hours sleep a night would have worn me down!

I hope the hospital visit was not serious

Anonymous said...

Hi Stu,

Been following your progress for a while and wish you all the best for your sub-40.
I would be interested in catching up at a run some time (missed you at the Burnley Sri Chinmoy, my first "race" in over 18 months) since my goals right now are not dissimilar to yours ("been there done that" in my previous running life).

Drop me a line (drbass@mac.com). I'll be doing the GO half (goal is sub 1:45 for the 23 km - we'll see) - what's your next big one? I'm also considering the 10 km in Williamstown the weekend after.

Looking forward to hearing from you, and all the best.

Seeya, Michael