Tuesday 22 March 2005

Tue 22 Mar, back to the track

Back to the track for the first time since the Masters Champs and first speed session in 3 weeks. Meeting up with a friend, Mick G. We go off with a couple of the young girls for a warm up along Hoppers Lane (on the road), they turn at 4 min and continue on for another 3 minutes and then turn. Nice warm up, 13:50, and then do some stretching followed by 3 stride thru and then some more stretching. Flats on and do 3 faster stride thru's.

I confirmed my session with Burkey prior to my warm up, 6x1000m @ 5km pace (20 min = 96 sec per lap) with a float of 200m. This is Mick's first track session in since Christmas so he will go slightly slower and one less repeat and he may shorten a couple of the repeats to 800m. Burkey mention we should do this 3-4 weeks and then pick the tempo to a 3k rate. I intend to do only 1 speed session a week for the next month, this will allow me to ease into the winter season and also give me a break from the track environment.

I haven't done this session since just after Christmas, and that time I didn't achieve the desired results, ending up with only 2 repeats under 4 min and the other 4 around 4:05-8. Today I wanted all under 4min, if possible, but the wind may have the final say...

First 2 felt easy, both 3:55, then followed by a 3:52, a little too fast, must concentrate if I want all to be under 4 min. The 4th one I crossed 3:57 and this felt very easy, :) Mick is still continuing on, hanging around 4:10ish. The second last one 3:55, this is Mick's last in 4:08. For my last I sit on my same pace for first 400m and then start to pick up the pace and finish in 3:49, VERY happy.

Finish with a walking cool down on 1 lap and then 2 laps easy running.

A great session and very pleased with myself.

Note: After training at the track for past 4 years or so, today showed that some of the boys are growing up, Luke S, driving himself home in his own car with P plates!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great session Stu!
One that i myself would like to work
towards. I'll be starting off a little slower than you though! (4:30 maybe?)